Discuss Removal grout residue face of porcelain tile in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Evening good people. I have a major issue with roughly 200sqm of porcelain floors grouted by my now very much ex apprentice. I have a serious amount of residue left on the face of the tiles. The kid was doing fine while I was watching over him but when I left him alone, well its all gone to rubbish. I have a good 4 plots (I'm subbing, new build) to go back over. I've been paid already and its obviously my responsibility. So yeah, nightmare. More fool me, you live you learn eh?
Just wondering does anyone know of where I can source decent polishing pads for my stone polishing multi speed grinder? Is this even a thing? Obviously I'd need to do it on a slow speed, but I have a lot of ground to cover so really don't wanna be doing this all by hand. Was gonna use it with an acid wash so any recommendations for that would also be appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Mostly polished, some polished-ish so not super high gloss but not too porous. Grout is Nicobond flexible silver grey.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
What type of tile? Polished, textured?
What type of grout? What colour?

Mostly polished, some polished-ish so not super high gloss but not too porous. Grout is Nicobond flexible silver grey.
Apologies only just realised I can reply direct.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
porcelain or stone ?
internal I take it
porcelain, internal, kitchen floors 40 to 50 sqm each. no pics I'm afraid. Basically from what I can make out he rinsed the washboy sponge out about twice, three times max. Judging by what I found him doing halfway thru another floor.

O

One Day

Silver grey is a life-saver I think.
I would try Fila Deterdek at suggested dilution along with some scotchbrite pads. Maybe even hire a floor machine for 200sqm as that's a lot of elbow grease.
Test first carefully for grout colour change and scratching tiles.

Nuclear option would be brick acid but could ruin the grout.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Silver grey is a life-saver I think.
I would try Fila Deterdek at suggested dilution along with some scotchbrite pads. Maybe even hire a floor machine for 200sqm as that's a lot of elbow grease.
Test first carefully for grout colour change and scratching tiles.

Nuclear option would be brick acid but could ruin the grout.

I'm taking all the grout out anyway as this kid really screwed it right up. Knocking up the grout too wet I think by the look of the finish. I'm absolutely furious with him if I'm honest. As the first 4 or so plots where I was checking all his work it was spot on. Just proper laziness.

Interesting what you're saying about the brick acid wash tho, as this site uses that for the build clean later on. They're a bit slack when it comes to protecting the floors, so they just acid wash them. However they then have been coming back to me saying the grout has colour variance. It hadn't occurred to me that the acid wash may be the problem, having never had a need to use it on any floor I've done. The back and forth between the house builder and the firm I sub for has been centred around what grout has been used. so we've just swapped from nicobond to weber. Bit of a game changer that. As they've acid washed all these floors before calling me back. Do you think the wash may have brought residue out on to the tile face? or is that a stretch too far?

O

One Day

I'm taking all the grout out anyway as this kid really screwed it right up. Knocking up the grout too wet I think by the look of the finish. I'm absolutely furious with him if I'm honest. As the first 4 or so plots where I was checking all his work it was spot on. Just proper laziness.

Interesting what you're saying about the brick acid wash tho, as this site uses that for the build clean later on. They're a bit slack when it comes to protecting the floors, so they just acid wash them. However they then have been coming back to me saying the grout has colour variance. It hadn't occurred to me that the acid wash may be the problem, having never had a need to use it on any floor I've done. The back and forth between the house builder and the firm I sub for has been centred around what grout has been used. so we've just swapped from nicobond to weber. Bit of a game changer that. As they've acid washed all these floors before calling me back. Do you think the wash may have brought residue out on to the tile face? or is that a stretch too far?

Acid will usually in effect bleach grout. Turns everything a bit procul harum.
If they've been acid washing after you've grouted then certainly they could be responsible for the patchiness.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Acid will usually in effect bleach grout. Turns everything a bit procul harum.
If they've been acid washing after you've grouted then certainly they could be responsible for the patchiness.
Much thanks for the info bud. This could significantly change the amount of snagging I'm receiving. I assumed the house builder wouldn't be using something that would affect the grout adversely. I should of learnt by now, new house builders cut corners. I'm guessing this apprentice of mine definitely was just cutting corners himself then also. I'm pretty sure he was slacking with the washing off, as opposed to it being the acid wash, washing residue on to the tiles. Ah well, if I do it myself I know it won't go wrong. Sod apprentices, more trouble than its worth. Thanks again.

Reply to Removal grout residue face of porcelain tile in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks