Discuss Best way to cut 20mm porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
What’s the best way/ blade for cutting 20mm porcelain been cutting with a 4 inch grinder it’s taking a long time with the rubi blade and getting really hot got a few hundred cuts to do

I

Italy

in my opinion the fastest cut remains the dry grinder.
so buy a good blade and go on.
just my opinion as an apprentice.

J

J Sid

I've just done 100's of Mt's of 20mm x1200x600.
20mm Porcelain comes in different hardness and the ones I have been doing were prity hard.
I started cutting them with a Rubi TC180 wet with a ats blade designed for 20mm Porcelain wet cutting, worked very well. Then tried an old Rubi blade dry and it cut just as well. With both methods I cut through both ends dry with a 125mm angle grinder to stop the tile splitting of.
Doing round edges and bull nosing was a monsterous job and took days

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've just done 100's of Mt's of 20mm x1200x600.
20mm Porcelain comes in different hardness and the ones I have been doing were prity hard.
I started cutting them with a Rubi TC180 wet with a ats blade designed for 20mm Porcelain wet cutting, worked very well. Then tried an old Rubi blade dry and it cut just as well. With both methods I cut through both ends dry with a 125mm angle grinder to stop the tile splitting of.
Doing round edges and bull nosing was a monsterous job and took days
These tiles are really hard tried breaking them on my montolit it wouldn’t touch them so just ordered a 9 inch rubi tvx blade should cut through them nicely
I was about to ask the same question. Ive got a patio to do soon. Will they score and snap on a Sigma? I was going to try giving them a heavy score then bashing them with a mallet...
Sigma and montolit wouldn’t break these tiles just ordered a bigger dry cutting blade for 9 inch grinder

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Most jobs in norn iron are done by gardners with still saws .
And then tilers are asked to fix them when they fall to crap

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Most jobs in norn iron are done by gardners with still saws .
And then tilers are asked to fix them when they fall to crap
Looked at a job on Tuesday a marble patio laid by some builders had laid it upside down and dot and dabbed it then the dabs were showing through the marble so they tried cleaning with brick acid completely murdered it ‍

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Our sister company sells a lot of 20mm porcelain. As a general rule a powerful wet cut bridge saw will give the best results. Dry angle grinder porcelain blades can work well. Stihl type petrol saws are very difficult to get straight cuts and it can be hard to source porcelain specific blades. Always go for porcelain specific blades. Pre-cut the end of the cut to prevent the cut 'pinging' and consider cutting in two stages. If cutting 'L' shapes pre drill the cut corner to reduce risk of 'pinging'.
Sigma Kera-Cut bar system for grinders is probably our favoured option. Easily transportable and simple.
It is very, very hard to make a decent profiled edge on site with 2cm porcelain, and some porcelains will not look good profiled. TileFix has a great range of 316 marine grade stainless steel edging in these situations;

Reply to Best way to cut 20mm porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks