Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to cut 20mm porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

Our sister company sells a lot of 20mm porcelain. As a general rule a powerful wet cut bridge saw will give the best results. Dry angle grinder porcelain blades can work well. Stihl type petrol saws are very difficult to get straight cuts and it can be hard to source porcelain specific blades. Always go for porcelain specific blades. Pre-cut the end of the cut to prevent the cut 'pinging' and consider cutting in two stages. If cutting 'L' shapes pre drill the cut corner to reduce risk of 'pinging'.
Sigma Kera-Cut bar system for grinders is probably our favoured option. Easily transportable and simple.
It is very, very hard to make a decent profiled edge on site with 2cm porcelain, and some porcelains will not look good profiled. TileFix has a great range of 316 marine grade stainless steel edging in these situations;

Can this level of finish be okay?
or is it scarce?
dry cutting.
just to understand what you mean as a standard of finish
thanks

20180922_081022.jpg

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I was talking about an edge detail, i.e. an exposed step. a saw cut edge on a step for 2cm will most likely be unacceptable, a formed edge step can look great but it very difficult and a lot of 2cm porcelain would not look good.

B

Bill

Have you tried scoring the tile with your tile cutter and then tapping the back of the slab with a pin hammer along the reverse of the scoreline?...... It is worth a try (depends how big the tiles are I guess but I did it OK on 600x600 20mm)

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Got a 9inch rubi blade arrived today for dry cutting cuts beautifully and Dural is specially making some brushed 20mm trims for the steps
Have you tried scoring the tile with your tile cutter and then tapping the back of the slab with a pin hammer along the reverse of the scoreline?...... It is worth a try (depends how big the tiles are I guess but I did it OK on 600x600 20mm)
That didn’t work either these tiles are so hard got a rubi dry cutting blade for 9 inch grinder works a treat

Reply to Best way to cut 20mm porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen