Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Best adhesive for large wall tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stephbris

Hello,
I have bought some large (300x600x6mm) wall tiles and was wondering which adhesive would be best. I have used ready-mixed adhesive and grout all-in-one successfully before on smaller tiles but I know this is no good for big tiles. They are going above my new hob so I really want them to stay on the wall! Tiling on to new plastered wall which has had 2 coats of emulsion.

Thanks!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi and welcome to the forum, do you know how heavy the tiles are per m2, when tiling on to plaster you can not exceed 20kg per m2 including the adhesive and grout, and its not a good idea to tile on to emulsion.

S

Stephbris

Thanks for your reply, I'll check the weight, they seem quite heavy. Is there something else I should treat the surface of the wall with?

G

grumpygrouter

6mm ceramics should be fine on a plastered wall, whether they are big or small tiles they will still weigh the same per square metre. Got to admit though, it does sound quite thin for such a large tile, you sure they are 6mm thick?

D

DHTiling

You deffo need to remove the emulsion... and in such an area i would say the tiles will be fine if they are ceramics.... you need a C2TE adhesive, this will give plenty time to work with it and then you can use a flexible grout .. colour to suit tiles..

R

Rich

As above, remove the emulsion, check the weight and use a standard setting cement based adhesive :thumbsup:

S

Stephbris

Thanks very much for all replies. The thickness is actually 9-10mm, was guessing yesterday as at work! Does this sound ok?

If I remove the paint do I just tile onto plaster or do I have to treat the wall with anything else?

Ta.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Plasterboard can carry 32kg per square meter. That includes the tile, the adhesive, and the grout, not just the tile. So take everything into account. You'll need to remove the paint as said. Else you're just sticking the tiles to the paint, and the paint doesn't carry much per square meter as it's not meant to, it's just paint.

Plaster can carry even less weight, only 20kg per square meter, so make sure it is all plasterboard. Sometimes external walls are rendered and skimmed, this would make those walls weaker when it comes to carrying weight.

9 or 10mm is about right for ceramic of that size, but it is of the heavier ceramics. Floor tiles are often just 10 - 12mm when ceramic or porcelain and they don't go much thicker than that. So you're on the top end of the weight there.

It might say on the box how heavy they are for freight reasons. And usually a box is about a square meter. If not it'll say what coverage is in a box so you can work out the per meter weight.

S

Stephbris

Thanks very much.

I am a bit worried now as the wall is already plastered (skimmed over rough wall after wallpaper stripped) and the kitchen fitted. We were just going to tile straight on so I am glad I asked this question, this is all news to me!

Does this mean there is a risk that the plaster will just pull away from the wall if the tiles are too heavy?

Is there any way round this?

Thanks again.

G

Gazzer

Yes the plaster could fail. The tiling is only as good as the substrate that it is fixed to.

V

Vincent

Hi.
I'm planning to put ceramic tile 2ft x 4ft (1/4" thick) for the wall of my TV room.
I'll use adhesive. Will it hold the tile if I turn on the music very loud?
Thank you

Reply to Best adhesive for large wall tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks