Currently reading:
Best adhesive for large wall tiles

Discuss Best adhesive for large wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stephbris

Hello,
I have bought some large (300x600x6mm) wall tiles and was wondering which adhesive would be best. I have used ready-mixed adhesive and grout all-in-one successfully before on smaller tiles but I know this is no good for big tiles. They are going above my new hob so I really want them to stay on the wall! Tiling on to new plastered wall which has had 2 coats of emulsion.

Thanks!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Plasterboard can carry 32kg per square meter. That includes the tile, the adhesive, and the grout, not just the tile. So take everything into account. You'll need to remove the paint as said. Else you're just sticking the tiles to the paint, and the paint doesn't carry much per square meter as it's not meant to, it's just paint.

Plaster can carry even less weight, only 20kg per square meter, so make sure it is all plasterboard. Sometimes external walls are rendered and skimmed, this would make those walls weaker when it comes to carrying weight.

9 or 10mm is about right for ceramic of that size, but it is of the heavier ceramics. Floor tiles are often just 10 - 12mm when ceramic or porcelain and they don't go much thicker than that. So you're on the top end of the weight there.

It might say on the box how heavy they are for freight reasons. And usually a box is about a square meter. If not it'll say what coverage is in a box so you can work out the per meter weight.

S

Stephbris

Thanks very much.

I am a bit worried now as the wall is already plastered (skimmed over rough wall after wallpaper stripped) and the kitchen fitted. We were just going to tile straight on so I am glad I asked this question, this is all news to me!

Does this mean there is a risk that the plaster will just pull away from the wall if the tiles are too heavy?

Is there any way round this?

Thanks again.

Reply to Best adhesive for large wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.