UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 10 Things Our Forum Needs! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Excuse the title as it is misleading but now you're here why not join in?

We want to know 10 things we could do / have that would make our forum better for you and all the other members.

Please throw some idea's around in this thread and hopefully we'll end up with a list of (or near to) 10 things that we can mull over some more and consider to help improve the experience of us all.

The 'things' can be some feature, perhaps something that could speed up a task you carry out on the forum regularly? Perhaps a 'thing' could be something to help you find something you search for regularly? Perhaps it could be another website or section or page listing or explaining something?

It could be literally ANYTHING.

Please help suggest something, or join in improving on any suggestions we have.

As a member with access to the Tilers Forums Arms I'd like you to keep your suggestions to this topic and not any others in other forum categories you may find.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I can see the benefit in topics auto locking after a month of inactivity, however I feel it would be good if the topic starter could add to it indefinitely as the poster may have an interesting update but then gets put off because they can't be bothered going through it all again (I know they could link, but it's still more effort).

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I used to use the "today's posts" a lot, but can't find that button now - is it me???

Thers a new posts button on the top bar m8

tiler

Also, the quick-links drop-down menu near the logout link has Today's Posts in it.

I can see the benefit in topics auto locking after a month of inactivity, however I feel it would be good if the topic starter could add to it indefinitely as the poster may have an interesting update but then gets put off because they can't be bothered going through it all again (I know they could link, but it's still more effort).

A mod or admin can open those threads at any time. And certain forums don't have the thread closing after 30 day no reply.

You're welcome to post a new thread with the title "RE: **old thread title here**" and include a link to the old thread if required.

I could also change the number of days from 30 to 60 or 90 maybe?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dont know if this is feasable Dan but what about a folder or something that is full of 'how to' video's? I know it would help me being a newbie as i like to see how its done by the proffessional before i attempt it. I know it's not going to really benifit the pro's cos it will be like 'telling ya granny how to suck eggs' but it's just a thought anyway. I will keep thinking

Brilliant idea. We used to have a forum category that we would post video's in but they were all sorts and mixed. So we then said let's post them in the normal forums and then TAG them as a video. We've upgraded the forum now and can TAG all videos with the word VIDEO and then click into the TAGS system and click VIDEO to find all those posts.

I'm just in the process (me and the moderating team) of tagging all the threads but we haven't got around to the video's yet keep checking the TAGS page.

how about a job of the month competition

members post photo,s of jobs they have done and theres a pole at the end of the month

Brilliant idea, and Mapei said they would include some Prizes too so perhaps this is the competition we hold for their prizes hey?

I miss the "latest posts" summary at the bottom of the front page.

Only a small thing, but I still miss it.
(a bit like Jimmy Cranky)

It was a contributor to the slow-loading we experienced some time ago. We're running a lazar speed now so I won't be adding that again untill I can clean the code up for the script.

I keep getting email notifications about posts I've subscribed to, but I get loads of them, even if I've not looked at the reply.
I thought you only got one until you looked at the post???
I come home sometimes and I have 15-20 emails about the same post...

Go to your subscription manager and you can have the emails emailed to you each time a new post has been added to a thread, or one daily email telling you how many times a thread has been replied to, or you can just have the subscribed threads listed in your subscription manage and have NO emails sent to you. I think there's even a weekly option too.

Just have a fiddle with your options and you'll find loads of settings that will cut down on your emails.

P

pjtiler

what about a section people can post in if they need a hand or dont have time to do a job. could be offered around, at the same time if anyone gets a big job or is willing to allow people to help in order to gain expirience! i've still loads to learn and would be up for helping in exchange for brews if i felt i was gaining in an area :grouphug:
now thats a good idea:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

what about a section people can post in if they need a hand or dont have time to do a job. could be offered around, at the same time if anyone gets a big job or is willing to allow people to help in order to gain expirience! i've still loads to learn and would be up for helping in exchange for brews if i felt i was gaining in an area :grouphug:

The tilers arms....is that not what it is for as well..?.....:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Is it possible to give each member their own 'favourites' page. For example if we come across a post that is informative we can save it for future reference??

If you find threads you want to find again in the future then subscribe to the thread with no notifications (you can have the forum email you when a reply has been added if you wish) and then you'll find all those threads in your subscriptions manager in "your options".

can you put on a health and safety links page ,some cossh information on sealers adhesives and chromium vi levels in various adhesives tips on best buys for dust masks safety glasses , many tilers are unaware of the dangers of silica flour etc this would be a big help

COSHH has to be provided to you by the manufacturer of a product though you need to request such information in some cases. As a person working with any chemicals you should be well aware of the health hazards. I don't want my forum subject to inaccurate or out of date data so I'd prefer to not get involved. Though I would ALWAYS promote getting yourselfs the COSHH sheets and sticking them in a folder in your van for at least the common products you use.

The forum can help you find the riight department / contact to find the data sheets thought you should find such info in the packaging too.

I think an a-z is needed rather than having to search through pages looking for the answers you want,

IE: things for newbies like how to`s

setting out, different types of tiles the correct addy/grout to use for them
basically a guide

The new 'tags' system will help with this. If you tag all topics you make / contribute to with the common words you'd search for to find such a topic we'll eventually end up with a big 'tags' system that you just click around to find the right topics.

The search facility is also improved with the new forum software so please feel free to have a play with that and get used to it.

If you're searching for topics you've contributed to then use your quick-links drop down menu to find those.

now thats a good idea:thumbsup:

A certain other forum has that and it used to work well:thumbsup:

Kev

We had such a thing (and I actually started that one on the other forum some time ago) though I'd much prefer the members to use www.findtrustedtradesmen.co.uk to find local tilers that can help with workload. Most listings on FTT are tilers with accounts on this forum.

Please feel free to post a new topic in the tiling forum or tilers forums arms with information on the area etc if you have work to pass around, it'll quickly get responded to I promise.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 10 Things Our Forum Needs! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Kitchen Tiling Guide This simple Kitchen Tiling Guide is something a lot of people could have...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.