Discuss Indoor/Outdoor Tile Layout HELP! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there

I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need advice. We laid 100m2 900 x 900 tiles internally in a perfect square formation transitioning three rooms with a 2mm grout line. The idea was to seamlessly transition this to the raised patio outside 55m2. We/our builders went to huge lengths to ensure the concrete for raised patio was the perfect size/dimensions to allow this to happen which includes 2 steps down to the garden level. Our patio doors are flush with the floor with very narrow sightlines so the patio area is very visible. However, now we’ve come to lay the Outdoor (20mm thickness) matching Tiles we’ve found they are 5mm less in size. I’ve discussed this with our tiler who has proposed three options

• Lay the outside tiles with a 7mm grout line (same brand/colour) to stay in matching square formation
  • Lay the outdoor tiles with a 2mm grout line, following the grout line of the middle tile and accept all the others will be out by 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, etc
  • Accept that I can’t do a square formation and offset the centre outdoor tile across 50% of the two centre internal ones and keep with a 2mm grout line.
I would really welcome any opinions on the matter. I am so upset that the tiles aren’t the same size but I need to find the best solution. Do you have any other ideas that might work better?

Would it be better to use brush in sanding grout (and a 7mm grout line)? Would that be a better solution?

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3902.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3901.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3899.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 21

Reply to Indoor/Outdoor Tile Layout HELP! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks