Discuss Help Different Caliber Indoor/Outdoor Tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there

I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for Interior (10mm thick), 55sqm for Exterior (20mm). The installation of the Interior took place in December but we held off on the Exterior due to weather conditions. We've now come to install the Exterior Tiles only to realise they are 5mm less in size. Our intention was to lay these in a square format matching the interior tiles, across the patio threshold. I had confidence they would be the same size as other tiles is the range specified a tile size of 122.2cm x 122.2cm, so I naively thought the tile specifications were very specific. Only now do I understand the difference between nominal size and caliber size, with both the tile company and sales company advising we should have specified this. I don't think any homeowner has a clue about such things until they find out they have a problem. The interior tiles have a 2mm grout, to follow the same grout lines I'd need an external grout line of 7mm. Should I give up the idea of having these laid along the same lines (as a 7mm grout line would just be too wide), if so how should I have them installed? Should I follow 1 grout line and accept all the others will be out for 5mm, then, 10mm, etc. The patio is 14m wide by 3.6, our patio doors are nearly 8m wide.

Totally devastated but need solutions, having spent 7 grand on the tiles, which I love but .......

Looking for Professional Tilers advice

Last edited:

Reply to Help Different Caliber Indoor/Outdoor Tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks