Search the forum,

Discuss Wet Room Porcelain tiles lifting - help please... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimie

Hi

I fitted a wetroom myself last year. Used a marmox tray with proper cement addy & grout. Unfortunately I noticed this afternoon that the tiles have lifted a a loud squelching sound can be heard. I think the fault mainly is not using sealant around around the edge of the drain where it meets the tiles.

This is a massive blow as you can imagine as I have spent a small fortune on the project.

Can anyone advise if it is at all possible to cut through the grout and lift the tiles (carefull) and refitt them, even if I have to get a pro in????

Thanks for any advise. I would like to be able to sleep a little easier tonight!

James

Attachments

• wetroom.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 558

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
There are loads of questions and answers here i would say, more details for the prep work needed. Whats under the tray? enough timber to keep it deflection free? what did you do regarding tanking everywhere?

D

DHTiling

What did you seal all the joints with before tiling.?

what tanking is on the wall and floor to joint seams..?

J

jimie

Thanks for responding guys.

I used a Marmox Showerlay supported over a 25mm marine ply base. All totally solid, with no flex. Tanking I used was Mira 4400 paint on stuff with fabric applied to the corners etc. This has held and there is no sign of any water escaping to the downstairs. Its just the tiles now flex when walked on and this pushes the water out from underneath the tiles out towards the dalmer drain. In hindsight I should have applied silicone sealant between the edges of the tile and the plastic edge of the drain - instead I just grouted :(

I am now very worried I have completed wrecked everything with no way of anyone lifting the tiles and relaying.

J

jimie

Yes defo suitable for porcelain, it was a ultra tile 2part flex (but cant remember the name exactly)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Water getting behind the tiles shouldn't make them de-bond. I'm thinking you either have deflection, or the addy never took to the tiles properly for some reason. Did you skim the back of the tiles with adhesive?

- - - Updated - - -

Water getting behind the tiles shouldn't make them de-bond. I'm thinking you either have deflection, or the addy never took to the tiles properly for some reason. Did you skim the back of the tiles with adhesive?

Reply to Wet Room Porcelain tiles lifting - help please... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen