Discuss Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would say there's definitely something on that ply that has reacted with the adhesive for it to come off that cleanly.

B

Billski

Like what though? It's new ply and if touch it with a wet finger it absorbs the moister. Used 4 sheets and it's all the same.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a strange one. Has the ply supplier changed the batch or anything. I'm all out of suggestions now just clutching at straws.

I'd love to hear what weber think after checking it.

Do you have any of the adhesive you normally use hanging around to sick an offcut down with to see what happens to that? If that sticks and is still stuck when the rep arrives it'd sure make his head scratch.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I right in saying the date on the bag is the date of manufacture and not expiry? I think we've done this before and somebody checked for us.

B

Billski

Date on the bag is 19.12.2016. so it's still in date and yes I've already used another manufactures adhesive on a separate part off the floor which has stuck perfectly.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that Kinda proves its the adhesive for me then if that was also S1

Reaction score
I know adhesive companies have been struggling with the different types of ply on the market and the variation on what you ask for and what you get. I would reckon Webber will come back with it hasn't been primed correctly.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I know adhesive companies have been struggling with the different types of ply on the market and the variation on what you ask for and what you get. I would reckon Webber will come back with it hasn't been primed correctly.
Apparently doesnt need the surface priming.

T

Tile Shop

Is that right?!

No..... 300mm floors. No can't see any recommendation for screwing on timber walls, just says it should be avoided in moist areas, and if you have to use it out of desperation..... or for a bet, keep the areas as small as possible.

Ha ha.... I said "moist".......... I'm such a child!

Reaction score
Apparently doesnt need the surface priming.

I would always advise priming with an acrylic based at 3:1 on ply with the grades that are out there now! Have seen this twice with different brands in the last six months and the answer has been sub standard ply whifh wpuld have been ok of primed correctly! Personally not a fan of these "no prime" adhesives available because of this!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would always advise priming with an acrylic based at 3:1 on ply with the grades that are out there now! Have seen this twice with different brands in the last six months and the answer has been sub standard ply whifh wpuld have been ok of primed correctly! Personally not a fan of these "no prime" adhesives available because of this!
And if you prime against the manufacturer recommendations they blame the fact you have primed it !!
Can't win really...

B

Billski

I was always told not to prime ply unless it's dusty. Beginning to which I'd primed it now but if the instructions say not then I'd be going against the mi's, so they'd get me on that.

Reply to Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks