Search the forum,

Discuss Wall Construction suggestions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sky_blue_kev

Hi All,
I've got a situation I'm not sure how to resolve and wanted some advice / experience if possible please. The bathroom I'm looking at has 2 outside walls, both of which are stone with no cavity insulation. The customer is requesting some insulation is added to the wall interior prior to the walls being tiled. In addition, they would like to have stone tiles (to be confirmed exactly what) on the walls, floor to ceiling. The bare wall is very uneven as is normal with stone walls, which makes things pretty awkward to fit to it. My current thoughts are to batten the wall with 2x2 timber every 300mm with cross noggins and then fit 2inch kingspan/celotex in between. (Issues with trying to get good fixings into stone are that the mortar usually falls to bit and sometimes drilling stone is difficult to get an acuarte position.) I would then screw hardibacker to the timbers and tile directly onto that. My concerns are that the 2x2 battening is going to be a nightmare to get vertical and flat across the length of the wall. Dot and dab a composite plasterboard with insulation attached would be my prefered option but I am aware that does not comply with regs for the weight of the stone tiles. I could build a free standing stud wall in front of the stone wall (say 3x2 timbers) which would remove any issues with drilling the stone and getting a good fixing ???? Hardibacker on the front of this and away we go ?

Anyone had any similar situations as this previously or can offer any suggestions / best practise ?

Thanks is advance

Kev

D

DHTiling

Hello Kev and welcome..

Schluter have just brought a board out that you can dot & dab onto walls..

And can take the weight of stone tiles..

Kerdi board it is called..

S

sky_blue_kev

Thanks Dave, I've had a quick look at the shlutter website but it doesn't look like it has insulation properties and so I would still need to get some insulation in between the stone wall and the tiling substrate. The customer is very keen to have some insulation in the room so my dilema is how to construct the wall. Thanks anyway as it looks like a useful product for me to use on other jobs ! A good spot !

D

DHTiling

Can you build stud walls in front of the stone walls and insert insulation..?

You need to be able to keep them plumb and flat as you say..then you could clad in a backer board.

M

mikethetile

Daves right kerdi board insulates and is available in thicknesses 5mm through to 50mm and can be dotted to the wall and take the weight of stone:thumbsup:

S

sky_blue_kev

Hi Guys. Thanks for the help. I'll look into the kerdi board next week. Do you know of many suppliers ? I normally use CTD for most of my tiling stuff. I'll check there but if you know any online places that are good to use, please let me know. Thanks again. :hurray:

Kev

Reply to Wall Construction suggestions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen