Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Urgent plywood /backer-board advice needed !!! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Got a refurbishment job in a shower/WC of a large twin-unit mobile home.
The walls are 2x1 timber covered in 6mm ply and then when converted into a shower topped
with 12mm OSB board and then tiles.
All this has been removed leaving the studding and it's time to add a decent backing for the tiles.

Trouble is the tiles chosen have a fair weight and not sure that the walls can take it if cement boards
are used. Also a double whammy that these homes do flex a bit and cement boards don't.

I've toyed with a few options and come up with this as an idea, so what do you lot think? :)
1. Beef up the walls with extra studding to create more surface area for boards etc.
2. Use 9mm sealed WBP plywood on walls and 18mm on floor to act as a liner only & tie studding together.
3. Add 10mm STS Professional Foam backing board to wall and floor and tape/seal joints clips etc.

Idea is to create a good waterproof tile-ready surface, but keep weight down as much as posslble.

Comments really welcome ASAP please as need to start on this Friday.

Reaction score
I think the foam boards over the plywood may be your best bet, fix with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and screw using washers. The plywood will give structural strength đź‘Ť

OP
A
Reaction score
I think the foam boards over the plywood may be your best bet, fix with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and screw using washers. The plywood will give structural strength đź‘Ť

Thank you for that :)

Confirms what I've thought that it's all about time spent on the studding and ply to
make the structure as sound as possible and then the foam board (fixed as you've
said) will sort he rest.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well after beefing-up the studding today, starting to wonder if the plywood liner is needed at all and I could well attach foam board straight to wall.

Any reason why this may be a bad idea?

Reaction score
No reason why you couldn't put the foam backer boards directly onto the studs. But the only issue might be getting a good fixing on shower screens, shower riser's or any accessories... Ect đź‘Ť

OP
A
Reaction score
No reason why you couldn't put the foam backer boards directly onto the studs. But the only issue might be getting a good fixing on shower screens, shower riser's or any accessories... Ect đź‘Ť

I fixed the studding at 300mm centers to suit the overlap of the backer boards, so it's all
very solid + added extra noggins for accessories etc. so all sorted.

Some of the ply bought from a local timber merchant is showing signs of delaminating
in places, so think abandoning ply was a good choice.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Reply to Urgent plywood /backer-board advice needed !!! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock