Discuss Tiles lifting - heated floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help.

in June 18 we had some tiles fitted to the kitchen and hall, along with electric underfloor heating.

the tiler used insulation pads, then applied the electric matting, and the tiles were stuck to that surface.

We were instructed not to turn in the heating for some weeks , and then gradually increase it by one degree a day. As it was June we didn’t need the heating for some time. It must’ve been about 3 months later before we used them.
About 6 months ago a couple of the tiles started making a hollow noise when walked upon. This has quickly spread. Most of the tiles are now effected, the grout is cracked in a lot of places, and you can even see movement with some of the tiles.

The tiler did return to look initially, but on setting the extent of the problem he’s blamed the heating and is now refusing to answer calls.

I’m keen to see if we can fix this ASAP, before tiles start cracking. I’ve bought some fix-a-floor adhesive after searching For people with similar problems but I’ve not been able to apply it myself as the grout is only 2mm thick.

Can anyone please offer

A) any advice on how to cut holes in 2mm grout without damaging the tiles, and then squirting in the adhesive?

B) offer any other advice on how to fix the problem?

C) be willing to help resolve the issue? ( I’m based in north Manchester)

Any help at all is appreciated

thanks

Reaction score
I expect one wild come up fairly easily, but I’m worried about leaving a hole in the floor because it wouldn’t be able to get it back down right

J

J Sid

I expect one wild come up fairly easily, but I’m worried about leaving a hole in the floor because it wouldn’t be able to get it back down right
You really need to see what's been done under the tile. Are the wires completely covered with adhesive or levelling compound?
Has the tile just not stuck to the adhesive
Your fixing method, if there is one, depends on why its failed.
If the tile is loose clean it and it will go back down fine

Reaction score
Skirtings remained in place.
Ok thanks, I appreciate it’s hard to diagnose remotely, and even more so if you can’t see it. There’s one now that’s “crunching” under foot, so I’ll give that one a try and get back to you.
I’ve got some suction cups. Is that the best way to try and lift it? If I break it I’m screwed as I have no spares.

D

Dumbo

Skirtings remained in place.
Ok thanks, I appreciate it’s hard to diagnose remotely, and even more so if you can’t see it. There’s one now that’s “crunching” under foot, so I’ll give that one a try and get back to you.
I’ve got some suction cups. Is that the best way to try and lift it? If I break it I’m screwed as I have no spares.
If it's loose it may well lift with cups depending on quality of cup and texture of tile . But to be honest you're going to need some tiles

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sounds like you're screwed anyway to be honest. Lift it and see whats under there, leaving it down guessing you will be no better off.

Give the ties a knock and see if they sound hollow all over. I think i know what my money is on considering the tiler will no longer acknowledge you :cookie::cookie:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it’s that bad (needing new tiles, likely all need lifting), then I’m going to need the help of a professional! Any advice on how to find a good reliable tiler in the North West?

They sound mostly hollow all over. It’s weird, they definitely didn’t start out like that, but it’s rapidly getting worse now.

Do you suspect dot and dab? He assured me he didn’t do that, and I believed him.... but something is causing this problem.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do you suspect dot and dab? He assured me he didn’t do that, and I believed him.... but something is causing this problem.

At a guess I do suspect that yeah. Something is causing it and you know the best way to find out what 😉.

As for finding a tiler you can check the directory on here or advertise the job here. There are also means for this on social media pages too 👍
[automerge]1576705103[/automerge]
That's 3 votes for get one lifted!

Reaction score
Ha, yeah, I’ll need to line up a tiler first. There will be massive blow back if I make a hole in the floor and it can’t get sorted post Christmas! I will lift one and update here though.

If the tiler is found to be at fault I expect it’s not an easy thing to resolve. Possibly involving small claims court or something similar.

What bothers me most here is that I’m likely to now be left with a bill greater than it cost to fit them. I’ll need replacement tiles (they weren’t cheap) and I’ll need to pay someone to lift them up, make the area good again ready to tile, and then to fit. Makes me feel sick at the thought.

Reply to Tiles lifting - heated floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks