Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles lifting - heated floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

If it’s that bad (needing new tiles, likely all need lifting), then I’m going to need the help of a professional! Any advice on how to find a good reliable tiler in the North West?

They sound mostly hollow all over. It’s weird, they definitely didn’t start out like that, but it’s rapidly getting worse now.

Do you suspect dot and dab? He assured me he didn’t do that, and I believed him.... but something is causing this problem.
If they've been dot and dabbed you could tell using a thermal imaging camera . The dots will show up .

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just a thought , it could also be an expansion issue if a perimeter joint isn't there to allow the thermal expansion.
Either way the floor is now de-bonded and needs to be rectified, I’d personally leave it to after xmas , so you dont have tiles missing during the festive period.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I feel for you.

Does the underfloor heating still work? I ask because if there are voids (gaps) under the tiles then the chances are that the heating cable will burn out.

Do you have any idea of what adhesive was used.
Flexible Bagged adhesive mixed with water is good.
Ready mixed adhesive in a tub is bad.

If the tiler did not pour a self levelling compound over the underfloor heating cable then the the cable will be unusable when the tiles are removed (as the cable will be stretched during the tile removable process).

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure what a perimeter joint is.

He definitely used flexible bagged adhesive, I bought all the gear, he just supplied the labour (which I think might make unlocking this even more messy).

There was no levelling compound used for sure, apparently it wasn’t needed as the wiring wasn’t thick.

The heating does still work, but I’ve not used it for months for fear of making it deteriorate even quicker.
I’m not surprised we’ll lose the heating. We didn’t really use it that often. We only installed it because we were worried about freezing cold tiles, but actually the insulation matting stops the floor from getting too cold anyway.

Reaction score
Tom, that would be absolutely amazing, thanks! Just figuring out our next move would be great. I’m sure it’ll last until the New Years
Tom thanks very much for heading over yesterday. It was great to get some insight into what the problems could be as well as chat about potential fixes. I’ll get started on tracking down some replacement tiles so we can lift one and take a real look.

thanks again

Reply to Tiles lifting - heated floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen