Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss SOS! I need help! My Black grout is gray! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
OK, I need some constructive instruction. I did a polished slate floor in herringbone, and wanted Black grout to accent the colors in the floor. Well I’m having problems with efflorescence/gray grout. I know I really screwed up by using to much water to clean the tile, I don’t know how I could have avoided it tho. The tiles are 3”X12” and the amount of cleaning was unavoidable. I have done black grout before this and did not have this problem. I used Mapei un-sanded grout.

I’m not a fan of how the Mapei grout refresh looks or feels, so I’m not a big fan of that solution. And using an acid to clean the grout with not work with the natural stone. So what can I do to fix this with out completely removing all my grout, which I do not want to do(because I would have to polish and reseal the tile before grout again)? Do I have any other options?

O

One Day

First try warm water and a nail brush to scrub off any surface salts. Let it dry and in nine out of ten cases it'll fix it.
Failing that, you could use a water based sealer such as universeal stone sealer which will enhance the grout without over enhancing the stone.
Acid cleaner is a really bad idea as you'll just completely ruin the grout.

OP
J
Reaction score
So the sealer being water based will help. Because I did forget to mention that I did try using a sealer/impregnator on a spot that would be under the vanity but it just went gray after it dried.

OP
J
Reaction score
And this is for my personal bathroom so I would like a permanent fix. The olive oil doesn’t really sound like a good idea, I’m going to be sealing the floor again and don’t want to have this problem After.

Q

Qwerty

As @Andy Allen says, something like Mapei Fuga Fresca will work or try a stone friendly cement residue/ efflouresence remover. I keep a non acid based cleaner on the van for this very problem

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’ve just used Bal ebony on black quartz tiles and after reading about it being a pain for this reason. As it happened I wasn’t bad at all, I didn’t use much water when cleaning and had no issues after buffed up the tiles.
I would try grout colourant though in this case as heard go things about it

Reply to SOS! I need help! My Black grout is gray! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock