Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sealing Porcelain Mosaics in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jgw1

When I had my 600mmx600mm black porcelain tiles the advice I had was to seal them. I am about to put up some porcelain mosaics.

Do these need sealing like the floor tiles? Will I have a problem wiping off the adhesive/grout if I do not?

J

jgw1

That's the difference thanks, the floor were polished but the mosaics aren't - thanks.

D

DHTiling

Not as easy as that.. some through bodied porcelain needs sealing.. but if they are glazed then no they do not..

J

jgw1

hmmm can I tell if they are glazed?

I am buying from a pretty good tile shop in East Sheen/Mortlake in London. They said that I didn't have to seal them - then again they said that I did not have to seal the polished porcelain tiles (the wife of the tiler who staffs the shop - you guys told me to seal - so I sealed :) )

A

Alberta Stone

Unglazed porcelain will still allow some water transmission, a very small percentage.
But it is a good idea to use a very good sealer.
Most water based sealers just form a thick skin on the surface and do not penetrate into the surface, so you need to do some research to find the best penetrator.
DuPont makes some good ones that are so effective often you cannot put on a second coat as it prevents absorption of more sealer, like this one: BulletProof® Sealer - DuPont? StoneTech® Professional
But it is for stone, however they ought to have one for porc as well

D

DHTiling

well they could be a through bodied one and IMO needs sealing( penetrating sealer for vitrified tiles).. but without actually seeing them then it is hard to see if your are right..

J

jgw1

I have a bottle of lithofin FZ Protective Impregnator W for porcelain tiles that I used fro my black polished porcelain floor tiles. That should work if I need to seal them.

How do I tell if they are glazed? Is there a way to tell? If not I'll ask the retailer but not sure they will know of the top of their heads.

J

jgw1

I'll post a pic tomorrow Dave.

ps just seen your website - great stuff - quality tiling that as a DiYer I can only aspire to. If I ever own a pool I'll happily pay for you to come and tile it.

Reply to Sealing Porcelain Mosaics in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks