Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sealing Before grouting? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bordershouse

Just had 2 of the bathrooms upstairs tiled and the tiler has asked me to get a sealer to use before grouting so that the tiles can be cleaned up easily.

The first bathroom is tiled in a matt ceramic (Padova from Topps) and we have the same tiles in the kitchen downstairs and the grout haze was a nightmare to get rid of. The second bathroom is done in a matt textured porcelain (called Noranda Beige). A very small area has been grouted so that I could decide on the colour and it looks as if that will leave a haze also. We're using Mapei Ultracolor grout.

Another bathroom with a satin ceramic has already been tiled and grouted with no problem. It's just the matt / textured ones that the grout seems to stick to horribly.

So the question is, is it better / easier to use a 'sealer' on these beforehand than use a haze cleaner afterwards, and if so what one? Google brings up various impregnators and grout release products but I'm not sure what's what. And should I seal the porcelain ones at all after grouting? I'm assuming I don't need to seal ceramic?

Many thanks!

D

Daz

I've never experienced problems with the Padova and no need to seal, IMO.
I've only ever worked with the Noranda "polished" versions which deffo require sealing prior to grouting. I imagine the matt versions will be difficult but the surface pores only really "open" when the surface is polished, so I would have thought that the matt version should be okay to grout and not require sealing prior or after grouting.

Reply to Sealing Before grouting? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks