Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Rough Idea Of Fair Price For Tiling/sq M in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cr0ft

Hi all. We contract to a conservatory installation company that pass us maybe 3 conservatories a month to do floor tiling on. They have just stated they will be self-levelling all floors for now on so they are flat and ready for tiling. We have to provide all tiling tools and materials other than this. They provide floor tiles which at £7 per square metre are fairly cheap and of poor quality to be honest.

We have been charging them £30 plus VAT per square metre which includes the materials. They are trying to get us to do their work for £25 plus VAT per square metre which I'm not too happy about.

What's the going rate these days for this sort of work? Maybe I am out of touch but I'm not really interested at the £25 figure.

Cheers for all feedback, would like to get other opinions before telling them whether or not to shove their price reduction. We are pretty busy with other work and so aren't desperate for this job but is the £25 the going rate??

Cheers,

Keiran.

C

cr0ft

Should add, they tell me there previous tiler has had a knee injury and so can't work for them any more. Apparently he would tile and grout a 16sq m conservatory in one day. I know I sure as hell can't do that!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi croft. Are you the same "croft" on the plumbing forum?
I would tell them to get lost at £25 including adhesive, grout and cutting discs!

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Stand your ground @crOft sure they'll come round if they value your work. If not they're not worth your efforts for them.

M

Mr Tiler

i.m.o £20-£25 per m2 for cheap ceramics is just labour nothing more, all other materials are an added cost if not supplied. Dont lower your price and "buy your own work" as someone recently said. If they are happy with your work but wont pay the going rate there the mugs not you.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would do it providing I didn't have to travel to far.
Conservatory floors are easy. .......hardly any cutting, 16 m2 tile and grout is easily doable. .imo

C

cr0ft

Thanks all. My opinion is that the best tilers, i.e. the ones that can competently put down 16 sq. metres a day still to a good standard (the important bit) are going to be busy running their own businesses and not wanting to work for me!

As a result I can't really justify £20 per square metre once materials come off as I know that will take one of my lads a day and a half.

Going to tell them we can keep doing them for £30 inc. materials but at anything less I'm not interested. Cheers all.

@Chalker, yes I am :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
£25 m2 plus materials is about right for around here, a good tiler should do it in a day, easy, tile it in a morning and grout mid afternoon

C

cr0ft

Brill. They want me to do it for £25 inc. materials. My thought is the materials for tiling work out at £5 per square metre I reckon so it's staying at £30 per sq. m. Don't suppose how long it takes really matters to them as they are paying the same price.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thats tight croft , i had one ring up before, told me "
he wouldnt pay more than £15 m2, none of this £20m2, you would do it in a day and be earning well over £200 a day, no man should be earning that"
Needless to say, i didnt do one for him ;)

I

Ian

Yeah I don't think £25 is unreasonable that's £400 for a 16m floor less £80ish for materials. It'd take me 1.5 days so that's still clearing £200 per day. I charge £17 per metre (labour only) for big floors (ceramic/porcelain) and can easily clear £250+ per day working at a steady speed. When I say big floors, I'm talking 50 m2 and over.

C

cr0ft

Interesting one. One of our businesses USP's is that we undertake tiling, electrical and plumbing work. Particularly for tiling we work out slightly more expensive than a full time tiler as we aren't as fast. But, builders etc get the benefit of using one person for everything which I think is worth a small premium.

Will see what they think shortly as I am sticking to my guns!!

J

J Sid

Its good money
conservatories are a dream to tile if they have flat floors
16m2 tiled and grouted per day should be no problem for a tiler on this type of work
Flat floor Gary, not seen one of those in a conservative for many years

Reply to Rough Idea Of Fair Price For Tiling/sq M in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks