Search the forum,

Discuss Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scott

oh sorry you wanted helpfull information ok.

sack the cowboy, employ a tiler. then maybe you wont have to line the builders pockets with any more of your hard earned money.

just because im not a tf arms member does that mean im not allowed to express my opinion?

Dude :chillpill:

S

Scott

Just a couple more pics:

Zoomed out, as I said, looks pretty good to me, 1-2mm isn't really noticeable on such large tiles IMO.

Some more mosaic issues?
Should I point out the fact that the gap between these two pieces just looks too small? pic (talking about the central ones)

also, in the top left corner of this pic you can see the gap between the pieces seems a bit too large: pic (four mosaic pieces in from the left).

Sorry about the poorer pictures, I tried to get some new pics of different tiles from slightly further away from the light.

Its the mosaics that are the main problem and they do look like they have slipped as some of them are inline. I can see the joins between the sheets in the pics and yes he hasnt spaced them very well. Do you know what adhesive he used? If you poke something into it has it gone hard?

The mosaics can be removed, you may not salvage them though, but at least you can have them reset.

Where abouts are you?

T

Time's Ran Out

oh sorry you wanted helpfull information ok.

sack the cowboy, employ a tiler. then maybe you wont have to line the builders pockets with any more of your hard earned money.

just because im not a tf arms member does that mean im not allowed to express my opinion?

On the contrary - all opinions are welcome and this one more than your others IMHO.
My concern is your loose reference to 'cowboys' in an industry that some try to promote as a profession.
24 posts in 24 months is a low count towards Tilers Arms entry - but I would be the first to buy you a drink when you arrive at the bar:welcome:

N

nooker

It reads to me as though you've got everything sourced and sorted and you want the tradesmen just to work for you without any profit to cover their overheads. If this was agreed at the contract stage then you are acting the role of Project Manager so you tell them who comes in/when/and how you want the work completed!
As for standards - the only height that they can be, is those set by yourself and whether you accept this work or not!
Diplomacy/respect/communication are just 3 issues I would expect from a foreman/manager and if you show some of these then a happy working environment should be achieved.

Sorry, I missed your post earlier, almost everything that I have had to source is either due to issues with what they sourced (such as the bricks being different colour and size) or things which they did not put into the original quotation despite leading me to believe they had (such as the new boiler and radiators). When giving me the quotation, they put the price for two new bathrooms, its only now that I have found out that this was only £2000 for each bathroom (to put it into perspective, I've spent more on the tiles/tiler alone than that £2000). After all these extra costs have started rolling in I think I have become almost paranoid, checking up on everything to try and keep a sane budget maintained.

M

mikethetile

looks like the mosaics are thinner than the field tiles and he has struggled to get them flush as theres too much addy behind

T

Time's Ran Out

Stick to the budget - builder extras should be signed and date agreed.
Without a QS involved you can loose track of the costs and it has been known for builders extras to cost more than their original estimate.
See how the tiler reacts tomorrow and let us know the outcome.

M

mikethetile

Sorry, I missed your post earlier, almost everything that I have had to source is either due to issues with what they sourced (such as the bricks being different colour and size) or things which they did not put into the original quotation despite leading me to believe they had (such as the new boiler and radiators). When giving me the quotation, they put the price for two new bathrooms, its only now that I have found out that this was only £2000 for each bathroom (to put it into perspective, I've spent more on the tiles/tiler alone than that £2000). After all these extra costs have started rolling in I think I have become almost paranoid, checking up on everything to try and keep a sane budget maintained.
project management and handling builders is fraught with difficulties, this is on top of the stress of having work done

as tj has said, your paying the piper so you call the tune

N

nooker

To everyone saying this is a cowboy, I don't think you guys should jump to that conclusion, despite trying to maybe get the extra penny or two out of me, the extension being built is of very high quality and to be honest, I think rather than a cowboy, it is more likely that the tiler is attempting to finish this job quickly (that is the impression I got, especially when requesting to come tomorrow) which has resulted in the poor mosaic, maybe get to another job he has lined up?

Right, I am going to sleep now, thanks for all the help guys. I'll try and sort it all out tomorrow and will post any updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

To everyone saying this is a cowboy, I don't think you guys should jump to that conclusion, despite trying to maybe get the extra penny or two out of me, the extension being built is of very high quality and to be honest, I think rather than a cowboy, it is more likely that the tiler is attempting to finish this job quickly (that is the impression I got, especially when requesting to come tomorrow) which has resulted in the poor mosaic, maybe get to another job he has lined up?
not everyone is shouting cowboy, some of us have seen it all before and reserve judgement till we know more

have a chat with him about the border as your thoughts are correct on this, if he complains he cant do it we will talk him through it

W

why tile

On the contrary - all opinions are welcome and this one more than your others IMHO.
My concern is your loose reference to 'cowboys' in an industry that some try to promote as a profession.
24 posts in 24 months is a low count towards Tilers Arms entry - but I would be the first to buy you a drink when you arrive at the bar:welcome:

i look forward to it:thumbsup:

Reply to Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen