Search the forum,

Discuss Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nooker

Ok here are some pictures, unfortunately it is difficult to take pictures so I have tried to use a ruler but it still doesn't really appear too great also the room is quite dark as the lights have not yet been fitted - only a low power bulb at the corner of the room at the moment, as a result I have been limited to photos of that corner really (with flash on the tiles reflect too much light).

Less of an issue: varying gaps between large tiles, this doesn't bother me too much, but you can see the upper two tiles are around 3mm apart yet the bottom two are around 4mm apart.

Mosaic problem: without ruler and with ruler, this is my main concern, it just seems quite far out.

Finally, not sure if you can see this but in this picture the ruler is pressed straight against the upper tile and a gap between the ruler and the lower tile of around 1.5mm can be seen.

As I have said, these aren't the worst (well the mosaic one is one of the worst things), it's just I am limited to one corner of around 4 large tiles which are pretty decent to be honest. Overall I don't think its a bad job, just want to make sure it is what should be produced by a professional.

EDIT: Also, I just looked at some of the tiles from the boxes (they are supposed to be high grade tiles but don't know how true that is) and using a ruler they almost all seem to be exactly the same size to the exact mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nooker

The mosaic is not right!
As it is a thick marble mosaic he has a weight issue and the tile has dropped - so you have a right to be concerned. Hopefully there are not too many like that but it can be altered.
The other tiles - I can't comment on from the picture - area is too small to see the rest of the joints for tile size.
Thanks for the update.

As I've said before, the gaps between the tiles isn't really an issue to me, its just after seeing the mosaic I thought I would provide as much information as possible. Since they are large tiles 1-2mm isn't a great deal and I'm sure once it has the filling put will become not noticeable. I have never had a professional tiler, so I thought I would state everything and let you guys (obviously far more educated in this profession than me) have a full view of everything.

D

DHTiling

As I've said before, the gaps between the tiles isn't really an issue to me, its just after seeing the mosaic I thought I would provide as much information as possible. Since they are large tiles 1-2mm isn't a great deal and I'm sure once it has the filling put will become not noticeable. I have never had a profession tiler, so I thought I would state everything and let you guys (obviously far more educated in this professional than me) have a full view of everything.

Some tiles do vary in size by a mm or so.. and when grouted do look fine.

But as you say the border needs sorting..

Reply to Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.