Discuss Porcelain floor tiles don't seem fit for purpose in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mindy

We have just had B&Q fit a kitchen but although we have had B&Q tiles also, we got an independent fitter to level and install the floor as he was half the price of B&Q. We think he did an excellent job, however a couple of tiles have chipped within a month - not at the edges but in the middle and on the top surface. Plus, I have dropped a mug which landed between 2 tile edges and has damaged 2 tiles. Our previous tiled floor had been down for 14 years and was intact, which is why we chose tiles again for the floor. I feel it is quite normal for things to be dropped in a kitchen every now and then and many things are heavier than a mug (the mug didn't break!) B&Q have said that in good faith, they will provide us with 4 replacement tiles but said there is no evidence that the tiles are at fault, ie it could be the installer, so it would be at our cost to re-install them! We are not happy that this floor will last the length of the kitchen and so I just wondered what people's thoughts were. Is it common for porcelain tiles to randomly chip and be damaged so easily? I want to take it further, possibly a small claims court as I would prefer to have the floor taken up and have totally different tiles at B&Q's expense - ie reimburse us for our expense on fitting a poor quality floor and a refund on all of the tiles. B&Q have suggested we take it up with a Furniture Ombudsman. Has anyone had experience of this and any idea if we would have a case? Any advice appreciated.

W

Waluigi

Any pictures of the tiles? The top, underside and box they came in.

Also the information it says on the box.

BCT tiles are often sold in the sheds (B&Q, Wickes etc) and are known to be poor quality. Are you sure they’re porcelain?

M

Mindy

What are BCT tiles? Do you know, I don't even know why we assumed they were porcelain now. The description is
  • Latinie White Polished Floor tile, Pack of 3
LATINIE WHITE POLISHED FLOOR TILE, PACK OF 3, (L)600MM (W)600MM
Product Information
This floor tile is ideal for kitchen.

• Surface finish - Polished
  • Coverage - 1.08 m²
  • Suitable for use with underfloor heating
Features and Benefits

• Polished floor tiles to give your Kitchen a modern look
  • Recommend minimum grout line of 4mm
Technical Specifications
Brand Colours
Length (mm) 600mm
Width (mm) 600mm
Thickness (mm) 9.5mm
Coverage 1.08 m²

I think we must have assumed that they were porcelain as they were very much like some Topps Tiles that were porcelain and 2.5 times the price.

M

Mindy

IMG_6213.jpg
IMG_6214.jpg
IMG_6215.jpg

BCT ? Not fit for purpose :eek:

M

Mindy

Just checked the box and it definitely says porcelain on the box. Just not on the online description. Thought I was going mad for a moment!

F

Flintstone

They are glazed porcelain by the looks of it. When you say ‘randomly chipped’, they look to be chipped due to dropping things, which can happen to any tile, although this kind of glazed finish is more susceptible than some other finishes in my experience. B&q tiles are generally of the lower end when it comes to quality, and that’s reflected in the price.

W

Waluigi

Very difficult to say. That top photo you can’t rule out an installation error. Not enough adhesive at the edge. On the other hand it could be a poor quality tile. Very tough situation, I’m not siding with B&Q but they do have a point.

I’m doing my kitchen next year, I’m fitting LVT without doubt. Too much stuff to drop onto Tiles in a kitchen IMHO.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
NO tile is ever sold with a guarantee against impact damage, and I bet
somewhere in the B&Q t/c it will state this.

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've installed 1200x600 15 years ago in a very busy restaurant and the owner has often mentioned he's amazed that none of them chipped or cracked and I told him they where put down with bal elastomeric adhesive using a 20x20 notch trowel and back buttered , at which point his eyes glazed over and said to much information tommy !

Reply to Porcelain floor tiles don't seem fit for purpose in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks