Discuss Poor tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Please can someone who knows what they are talking about help me out.

I am very unhappy. I purchased a new build and had plans to have the kitchen, dining room and utility rooms tiled in a nice shiny porcelain tile.

I decided to go with a local builder, who stages he does tiling. He did other tiling work, which I believe has been done to a satisfactory standard. Unfortunately we are extremely unhappy with the other kitchen etc areas.

Issues I am not happy with:

• Uneven tiles
  • Grout different colours, patchy and not the colour specified
  • Thick (approx 2-3cm) grout next to patio doors and other places
  • Grout along parts of skirting not flush with different tiles
  • Grout along skirting looks messy

Any advice welcome. As I said, we are extremely unhappy. He quoted us in the thousands and essentially it’s not actually down to the money. We wanted these rooms to be stunning and therefore wanted a professional job. I have what I would describe as a diy job. It has not been planned out properly, which is obvious, as he has miscalculated. This is why he has had to fill the bit between the tile and patio door with a thick bead of grout.

Reaction score
Some of the areas I am not happy with.

E26F14E6-B2BE-4BD8-8845-71EF5739C36B.jpeg

2A875294-B573-4184-9327-8165729FA4FC.jpeg

86E05F9F-74BB-4FCE-B6EF-131E10242970.jpeg

5034870F-835E-4720-9097-D3701CF34D00.jpeg

036D9F80-9D52-4968-8D90-3E607B76BF26.jpeg

A8630501-66B1-410E-8328-C8046FA59BED.jpeg

6A895C84-44E7-4041-A8EA-54A371A8814E.jpeg

832EE54F-371E-4ADC-B69F-7A4735B61DA3.jpeg

Reaction score
I used a builder, as he stated he did tiling work and tilers in my area all seem busy. I moved into my home and we were keen to get things started ASAP, the builder is recognised by the local authority .
[automerge]1571261785[/automerge]
He rushed off before I could go through things properly. He did the grouting last night and first thing in the morning I mentioned the colour wasn’t right, as it’s supposed to be grey. His reply, “I’ll leave you with some grout so you can finish it yourself”.
[automerge]1571261867[/automerge]
By the way, that’s not all. If you look at the room as a whole, the grout looks awful and tiles obviously uneven. The problem is to do it properly would been starting again. I don’t want to pay him anything.

J

J Sid

Good tilers are busy and can be booked for a future day, quite builders will say they can tile and do it straight away.
From the pictures it's not acceptable workmanship and you should tell him what your not happy with. if he is a respectable builder he will put it right to a standard you are happy with

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

My concern is that to do the job properly would mean him essentially starting again. To be honest, looking at the job I don’t think he really understand how to do it properly now. I think I could do a better job. But as I said, it would mean him starting again. If he refuses I don’t intend on paying him. Any thoughts on that? Also, in terms of proving the level of skill and finish how would I prove this is below par? It obviously is, however he may try and go through the court. Really disappointing all this, because I know there are people out there who can do a good job, but these types ruin it. It makes me want to avoid using tradesmen forever.

J

J Sid

You have to give the opportunity to put the work right and to an exceptable standard and don't pay him until you are happy with what he has done.
Yes it will all need doing again at his expense. Take plenty of pics and tell him what your not happy with and how you want it. Cuts done properly with a 3mm space around the skirting and door. No lips and an even and constant grout colour.
Talk to him and see what he is going to do.

Reaction score
I am so grateful for your advice. I am almost crying, as this has been such a big job for me in my new house, but let down.

I will do what you have said and will post on the conclusion. If I’m honest I think he will try and get out of doing much, and try and threaten me with getting money. It’s crazy how much tiling can be, I guess because it’s so labour intensive. For him to replace what he has done, would mean he is seriously out of pocket. However, moral for him is not to take on jobs he cannot do.

But again, amazing this time of the night you can give me all this advice.
[automerge]1571264969[/automerge]
What do you mean by “over washed grout”?

J

J Sid

He has used to much wash when washing of the grout and washed of to early. This extra water wash the colour out and leaves it patchy and lighter.

Tell him your concerns and what your not happy with and see what he says.

T

Time's Ran Out

In the time scale you have mentioned the grout will not have fully dried to it’s final colour yet - can take 3-4 days!
However the cuts are bad, as a new build it would have been easier to programme the work for the tiling BEFORE the skirtings are fitted.
If he suggested you finish the grouting yourself I’d ensure he didn’t get paid till you were happy with the completed job.

Reaction score
Well, unless he redos all the tiles, which would then mean there wouldn’t be a thick layer of grout between the tile and wall, I am not sure I will pay him. If he wishes to take it to court then I’m willing to go there. I may suggest we go 50/50 on paying an independent expert to evaluate his work. Sounds reasonable?
[automerge]1571293075[/automerge]
By the way, he also did upstairs wall and floor tiles. The floor tiles were supposed to be grouted in the same gun metal colour. He said he did this, but after a week they are still a cream colour. Therefore, I am confident the grout downstairs will remain the same patchy colours. Do you think I should pay him for the upstairs but query the downstairs or just refuse to pay until all work is completed to a satisfactory professional standard?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regarding my above situation. I used a builder to do the tiling work, as he has people work for him I thought would be good enough for the job and he advertises he does tiling work. Is this an issue when it comes to payment and potential court action?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say we can really get involved with that side of it.

I've just posted about what a builder is in THIS post. That's another poor sod who didn't get a tiler in and used a builder instead.

Half the blame has to be on the customer sometimes I feel. Not enough research. When people spend £3000 on a car they research it. Not sure why they don't when they need a tiler.

Builders undercutting actual tilers everywhere getting more work than actual tilers, but half their jobs aren't done right and about 10% will go wrong to the point of tiles falling off or cracking. I bet we hear about 1%.

It's a bloody shame. I am sorry. But we can't get involved between you and your builder. You need sort it out between you really.

If you want a real tiler though we have a directory, and you can post a job here too.

Reply to Poor tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks