Discuss Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Durock is only water durable and not waterproof.
You would be well advised to use Hydroban or RedGaurd as a waterproofing membrane over the Durock. This will give you a waterproof substrate on which to tile to.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
If I end up finishing this job I will take everyones advice and do my best. I've done plenty of work for myself ok, but it is different when someone else looking over your shoulder is paying the bills.

O

Old Mod

If I end up finishing this job I will take everyones advice and do my best. I've done plenty of work for myself ok, but it is different when someone else looking over your shoulder is paying the bills.
You’ve already done more than most I’m sure, just by researching the project and all that it entails.
Come back let us know how you got on.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
You’ve already done more than most I’m sure, just by researching the project and all that it entails.
Come back let us know how you got on.

I will for sure, thank you very much. I hope it works out ok, whoever sets it, especially letting the house freeze for five months a year. The old melamine was perfect, just ugly.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I've decided to try a shower job on my own place first. Then make a decision to do my neighbor's or not. I have a small camp on my property that will be good practice and has almost the same situation as the people I caretake for. I'll keep my progress posted when possible.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,
I maybe getting ahead of myself but as far as the pattern, if I use the same size they want in their stall, 12x24, vertical, is there a standard setting pattern? Starting with a full tile in the center bottom of the back wall leaves about 1/3rd a tile at top. Should i use a 2/3rds piece on both sides of the center full tile?

O

Old Mod

Depends in the effect you want to see.
Most plank effect areas start with a full piece, or nearly if it leaves horrid cut at end of the run.
The second run starts with the off cut from the first. It becomes a totally random bond giving the most life like timber finish.
If there’s a timber floor you can view you’ll get the concept.
Symmetry doesn’t work well.
You can still mark out from centre, but for example, take the far left corner and measure up where your cut will end and take the offcut and place it in position of the next course and work out the next top cut, then put that off cut centre or your shower. 😁

881612E9-865E-4821-BC76-764AE703566A.jpeg

Employ same technique to your wall as in the end of this floor in the window area
You’ll have to enlarge image probably.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah still need a grout joint there the same size as the rest.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
20191007_103941.jpg
If I start with full tile in centre and use the piece left from the top cut, this is how it would look, correct? Too symmetrical ?

O

Old Mod

Personally I’d say yes, try a shorter plank left corner.
Or just adjust left corner up and down till you reach a desired effect.
Starting the next row with off cut isn’t mandatory, you can also shorten that if it helps give a more random appearance.
Obviously the beauty of being able to leave them in one piece is that it’s less work for you.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I guess the more random you make it, the better it looks. Its tough with such large tile in such a small area. More waste also.

Reply to Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks