Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am a non pro who has been asked to set some large tiles on a shower wall tight. is that recommended?

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
That stuff looks beautiful. I also like the minimalist design. When they want different tiles put in between which everyone over here loves, It starts to get gawdy looking. Good job!

O

Old Mod

When they want different tiles put in between which everyone over here loves, It starts to get gawdy looking.

Yeah we were doing designs like that here 30 yrs ago, so a lot of us try to steer clients away from that.
I spend some of my time viewing American designs and techniques, and you do have some first class tiler setters around, but I can’t deny, 80% looks very dated from our perspective.

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I agree, some bathrooms here are just too much. I call it Italian style even though I'm half Italian. Also, 80% of the homes here don't even have one piece of tile in their home. Linoleum, shower and tub inserts, carpet, etc. Good enough I guess.

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Yeah it would depend on the size.

Large tiles are hard to get coverage on. And it's not for the faint hearted. Have you tiled before? What background are you tile onto? Have you considered how you're going to waterproof the shower area before you fix a tile? The tiles wont waterproof the shower alone. You need to 'tank' the shower before you even mix your tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ etc.

When you say "tank" the shower, that means the ceiling as well? Should that be set first?

O

Old Mod

When you say "tank" the shower, that means the ceiling as well? Should that be set first?
You would have to check with local building regs, I can say that most professionally installed showers are meant to be flood tested, ie filled to the kerb with water and remain there for a period of time, (24hrs rings a bell somewhere, but could be way off, but a flood test nevertheless) whether your state insists in this, I do not know. And whether you would fall under those rules, again I am unsure.
I’m sure your local NTCA representative could advise.
But as we all know, DIY is one thing, professional is something else.
To answer your question tho...,,😁
The ceiling would only be tanked or tiles here if it was exceptionally low or it was at the clients request.
And yes, you would wait until the tanking is set before tile.
There are several ways to achieve this.

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I'm starting!!! This will be my first attempt at preparing and tile a small stall. It's my own place that's sitting there not being used so I started to fix it up on my spare time. Our local code does not require the types of testing you mention though I would like to try it anyways. It's not the tanking i'm concerned about, it's trying to make the tile look nice.

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I'm done. I redguarded the durock, and got to work. The floor with 2x2s came out perfect, but I'm not too proud of the walls. The first tile I set was 1/2 inch off the center of the back wall, then I continued straight up to the ceiling and went to lunch. Came back 30 minutes later and noticed it. I can't believe I screwed up the math. I'll try to add some photos so you all can point out the mistakes.....already told the boss to find a tiler for his shower, though I would never make that mistake again. It's just too much work for what he pays me.

OP
craigy

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Here are some pictures. Go ahead fire away, I need to learn. I. Threw in an outdoor pic just to show the house. 20191203_131125.jpg 20191203_131336.jpg 20191203_131226.jpg

Attachments

• 20191203_131238.jpg
    20191203_131238.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19

Reply to Large format rectified polished porcelain with no Grout in a shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock