Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Issue with Granfix Flexible Fastset in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old School

Hi,

This is my first post! Just a question to see if anyone has any experience using Granfix?

I have used Granfix Flexible Fastset for a job in which the tile shop supplied this adhesive. I have never used this adhesive before but the bag was labelled as fast set suitable for underfloor heating, wood, porcelain and waterproof.

The customer layer 18mm of marine ply and then laid Wediboard. He then fixed the underfloor heating and I came into screed the floor with the Granfix. I then tiled the floor the day after. When I tile I always apply my adhesive to the whole tile and then fix to floor.

However, one month later the customer explains to me the tiles are lifting off the floor. When I go to see what has happened I see the tiles have lifted and once the tile is removed it is clean, as if no adhesive has been applied. All the adhesive has large cracks in it.

The underfloor heating was put on 3 weeks after the job was complete. So I can't see this being the explanation.

Has anyone experienced this problem with this adhesive?

I have never seen this before and always use the same method that I have used in the past 26 years with my preferred adhesive, and think it is strange this happens on an adhesive I have never used before.

Thanks

W

White Room

Not an adhesive I use nowadays but never had any problems with it, did the customer turn the ufh up gradually....

O

Old School

The job was complete in February and the customer messaged me in May to say the tiles felt loose and grout was coming away. I did notice the under floor heating was on 19 degrees!

I think you may be right in thinking they didn't turn it up gradually and stuck it on full wack.

I have never seen this before!

Perhaps the customer was trying to use the underfloor heating to heat the whole house!

thanks!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever used it before either. But would ask the same question as whitebeam.
Customer wasn't tempted to turn it on beforehand or crank it right up after 3 weeks did they?

O

Old School

The tiles were 300 x 600 porcelain.

I can't say if the customer did do that as they didn't say anything to me, but the tiles were quite warm to touch and the house was really warm.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Old School i use granfix adhesives all the time and never had problems ,thats not my way of fixing tiles (one at a time) but i cant see that being the problem,i would take a guess at the underfloor heating being put on to soon and not gradually,the problem you have now is are they going to tell you that they did everything as they should have,and to be honest ill bet they couldnt wait to put it on full blast when you had gone ,but im sure they wont tell you that,good luck and as i say i have used granfix for a long time now without problems i find it good to use

S

SJPurdy

I'd go back to the shop and ask them to get the granfix rep to come out and look at it. If they won't help then contact granfix direct and ask them. I would think that they will be able to tell from a sample of the failed adhesive what the likely cause of failure was -although will they admit it if they've forgot to add the flex bit to the mix!

M

m3fitter

you say the client fixed the ply and wedi board, was it screwed down properly, was the wedi board adhered down, and with what.. sounds like could be a prep problem ???? rather than an ufh problem

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
My guess would be thermal shock. If you spread the adhesive direct to the back of your tile and there is none on the tiles now that have popped. To me that screams thermal shock.
As rookery said. Do the cracks follow the cable runs? Might be worth a call to the tech support of the UFH Manufacturers. Ask the question that if their technicians came out for an inspection would they be able to high light thermal shock from that inspection.

Reply to Issue with Granfix Flexible Fastset in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks