Search the forum,

Discuss Issue with Granfix Flexible Fastset in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

I'd go back to the shop and ask them to get the granfix rep to come out and look at it. If they won't help then contact granfix direct and ask them. I would think that they will be able to tell from a sample of the failed adhesive what the likely cause of failure was -although will they admit it if they've forgot to add the flex bit to the mix!

M

m3fitter

you say the client fixed the ply and wedi board, was it screwed down properly, was the wedi board adhered down, and with what.. sounds like could be a prep problem ???? rather than an ufh problem

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
My guess would be thermal shock. If you spread the adhesive direct to the back of your tile and there is none on the tiles now that have popped. To me that screams thermal shock.
As rookery said. Do the cracks follow the cable runs? Might be worth a call to the tech support of the UFH Manufacturers. Ask the question that if their technicians came out for an inspection would they be able to high light thermal shock from that inspection.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as for getting the rep out ,well if they are anything like bal you wont get far with the complaint ,athough i have only had two minor problems with bal, myself and the customers conserned got letters back that even a top scientist couldn,t even understand on an a 4 sheet of paper,but broken down all it said was that the product was up to bs and the wasnt prepared to help,that,s why i dont use bal anymore ,idiots

O

Old School

Thank you all for your replies!

I can't be sure about the preparation the customer did. It was ok but can't be sure unless looked at.

I have some images of the tiles and adhesive. Like I mentioned before I layed the tile by adding the adhesive first to floor and then to back of tile to create a full bond. The customer said the tiles felt loose and Photo 1 shows how the tile looked as I lifted it. Photo 2 is the back of the tile, you can see the adhesive hasn't bonded to the tile at all. You can also see the cracks in photo 3 and 4 but they don't follow the lines of the under floor heating.

Apparently a rep is due to check the job from Granfix but not sure when this will be. I see somewhere about a possible change in formula in the adhesive due to EU regulations but can't be sure on this. A sample was sent from this job for testing and test came back ok, but i think they were testing to see if I added anything to the mix to make this happen, but I did not do this.

What do you think?

Photo1

View attachment 52943

Photo 2
View attachment 52941

Photo 3
View attachment 52942

Photo4

View attachment 52940

Thanks,

Old School

Reply to Issue with Granfix Flexible Fastset in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen