Search the forum,

Discuss Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Tess

-
Reaction score
Is there anything in the invoice that you didn’t agree to pay for. Or won’t told about before it happened.

We didn't agree a further £120 for an extra sq.m of tiles he added on. Quote changed in various ways including one less cabinet made but seems the materials costs are the same as quoted, I'm just more aware of what a hike up that is, now I see what he actually installed. I agreed to materials with the verbal caveat that he wouldn't charge me for things he didn't need to buy (i.e because i was buying so much) and the written agreement that he would take off his "allowances for" big products which I ended up buying after paying him VAT on half of them in the original £4070 invoice. He bracketted allowances and deducted those that I bought as well as deducting some for the trims, grout, sealant and maybe waste pipes which I bought. His quote is laid out in quite a confusing manner. He quoted separately for materials and labour and then added vat of 20% to both.

D

Dumbo

If he is vat registered he has to pay vat , if he is not vat registered and he is charging vat that is illegal he is defrauding the crown and will get into trouble .

Tess

-
Reaction score
That goes for labour too.. now I see it was all hyper-inflated
Vat or electric
Real VAT number, registered.
[automerge]1581606716[/automerge]
He doeesn't think these gaps are a problem but I think they will allow water ingress, the big disk is the shower mixer and it's not attached, bare ceramic can be seen underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_5451.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
D

Dumbo

If he has clearly charged you for things he hasnt supplied , and what i think youre saying is he has charged you for more cabinets than he has supplied , tell him youre not paying for them, that is clearly dishonest.
As for showing labour and materials seperately on an estimate that is not confusing that is transparency in what he is charging , and he has to charge vat .

Tess

-
Reaction score
If he has clearly charged you for things he hasnt supplied , and what i think youre saying is he has charged you for more cabinets than he has supplied , tell him youre not paying for them, that is clearly dishonest.
As for showing labour and materials seperately on an estimate that is not confusing that is transparency in what he is charging , and he has to charge vat .
He's not charging me for the missing cabinet but he is charging me for "provisions for sanitary ware" as in above messages in addition to 1.5k fitting but not supplying electric toilet/ sink/ bath and high charging for all materials (1800+VAT when I think the cost was more like £550) Reading through our emails I see he said: "If some work will not be done for some reason it will be removed from the quote or if there will be some extras it will be added on", so if he didn't change any "provisions for sanitary ware" by which I take to mean waste pipes/ feed pipes then he shouldn't charge me the money - but what if he did do this job and it took him 1hr with £5 worth of materials, do I now have recourse to say £600something for that task is exorbitant and I won't pay so much? If he has separated materials from labour do I have a right to see those receipts or say, I can see now that is toooo much for what you actually supplied?
Thanks for sticking with the case!

D

Dumbo

You have no right to see the receipt.
It is very confusing to keep up with you.
Your 1.5 and your 1.8 k and 550 i cant follow at all .

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What a pickle, this is why I supply and fix only to a fixed price.

Reply to Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen