Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Brill. He’s done correct thing there. Get a cert from them for that

has he given / will he give you his vat number. It will be on the invoice.

Yes and I've checked it's a real one.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is there anything in the invoice that you didn’t agree to pay for. Or won’t told about before it happened.

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Is there anything in the invoice that you didn’t agree to pay for. Or won’t told about before it happened.

We didn't agree a further £120 for an extra sq.m of tiles he added on. Quote changed in various ways including one less cabinet made but seems the materials costs are the same as quoted, I'm just more aware of what a hike up that is, now I see what he actually installed. I agreed to materials with the verbal caveat that he wouldn't charge me for things he didn't need to buy (i.e because i was buying so much) and the written agreement that he would take off his "allowances for" big products which I ended up buying after paying him VAT on half of them in the original £4070 invoice. He bracketted allowances and deducted those that I bought as well as deducting some for the trims, grout, sealant and maybe waste pipes which I bought. His quote is laid out in quite a confusing manner. He quoted separately for materials and labour and then added vat of 20% to both.

D

Dumbo

If he is vat registered he has to pay vat , if he is not vat registered and he is charging vat that is illegal he is defrauding the crown and will get into trouble .

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
That goes for labour too.. now I see it was all hyper-inflated
Vat or electric
Real VAT number, registered.
[automerge]1581606716[/automerge]
He doeesn't think these gaps are a problem but I think they will allow water ingress, the big disk is the shower mixer and it's not attached, bare ceramic can be seen underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
D

Dumbo

If he has clearly charged you for things he hasnt supplied , and what i think youre saying is he has charged you for more cabinets than he has supplied , tell him youre not paying for them, that is clearly dishonest.
As for showing labour and materials seperately on an estimate that is not confusing that is transparency in what he is charging , and he has to charge vat .

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
If he has clearly charged you for things he hasnt supplied , and what i think youre saying is he has charged you for more cabinets than he has supplied , tell him youre not paying for them, that is clearly dishonest.
As for showing labour and materials seperately on an estimate that is not confusing that is transparency in what he is charging , and he has to charge vat .
He's not charging me for the missing cabinet but he is charging me for "provisions for sanitary ware" as in above messages in addition to 1.5k fitting but not supplying electric toilet/ sink/ bath and high charging for all materials (1800+VAT when I think the cost was more like £550) Reading through our emails I see he said: "If some work will not be done for some reason it will be removed from the quote or if there will be some extras it will be added on", so if he didn't change any "provisions for sanitary ware" by which I take to mean waste pipes/ feed pipes then he shouldn't charge me the money - but what if he did do this job and it took him 1hr with £5 worth of materials, do I now have recourse to say £600something for that task is exorbitant and I won't pay so much? If he has separated materials from labour do I have a right to see those receipts or say, I can see now that is toooo much for what you actually supplied?
Thanks for sticking with the case!

D

Dumbo

You have no right to see the receipt.
It is very confusing to keep up with you.
Your 1.5 and your 1.8 k and 550 i cant follow at all .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
What a pickle, this is why I supply and fix only to a fixed price.

D

Dumbo

Youre right @Boggs .
I supply all my fixing materials , i get some customers say i will supply this and that , then i ask what theyre paying and tell them i can supply it cheaper anyway and im still making a good mark up

Reaction score
You can come and do some for me then. :)

£90 won’t leave you much after vehicle running costs, tax, ni and materials.

This is for a neighbour about 4 doors up so can walk round with a small tool bag. Its the same bath going in, and in exactly the same place. It was taken out then they decided not to do the project 1 day later!! So I won't be there long at all, especially as there's no alterations.
Lets suppose though that this bath was in place, it was 15miles up the road and it had to be removed, moved 200mm along the wall, all materials were provided and so perhaps 4/5hours work. £150-£170 would be a reasonable amount in my opinion to do the job, especially if you're there anyway doing other stuff as well.
Do you not agree? or do you think that £300 is a fair price?
I know that people have their own rates but to me personally, it seems a little on the steep side.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
This is for a neighbour about 4 doors up so can walk round with a small tool bag. Its the same bath going in, and in exactly the same place. It was taken out then they decided not to do the project 1 day later!! So I won't be there long at all, especially as there's no alterations.
Lets suppose though that this bath was in place, it was 15miles up the road and it had to be removed, moved 200mm along the wall, all materials were provided and so perhaps 4/5hours work. £150-£170 would be a reasonable amount in my opinion to do the job, especially if you're there anyway doing other stuff as well.
Do you not agree? or do you think that £300 is a fair price?
I know that people have their own rates but to me personally, it seems a little on the steep side.

tbh I don’t really carry out work like that so can’t really say what I would charge.

All I know is I’m with @jcrtiling, and really confusedo_O

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Hmm, to clarify...

Total cost now (having negotiated the tile down to £45 per sqm for bad finish) is £6,570 incl. VAT. Materials costs being £1800+VAT of that, which I think is way too much having seen what he actually ended up buying (not much).

The things I want to dispute are the mark-up on materials costs and perhaps the price for "Water and waste provisions for Sanitary Ware" which was quoted at £560+vat including materials.

I understand that "Water and waste provisions for new Sanitary ware" means adjusting/supplying pipes to sink/bath/shower but there was no requirement to actually change position of any of these (other than 20cm bath shift)
and ....
This £560+vat does not include bath/sink/waste-pipes/taps/shower or any fitting of the those since these were priced separately and cost (labour only) £1500.

There are some new short white pipes under the bathroom which have been changed (kitchen ceiling open to joists because old bathroom leaked) but two of the four are fitted for the towel radiator (charged separately).

£560 seems a lot for the remaining two white pipes, will have to ask him about it.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.JPG
    IMG_5386.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 37
D

Dumbo

If he quoted and you agreed , it is what it is .
I would not be happy if i worked for you then you tried negotiating a new price after the job is finished , now im not taliking about amounts its just the principle of it .
I wouldnt renegotiate with you i would just refer you back to the quote after all you didnt have to accept it .

Reply to Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock