Discuss Garage floor tiling prep/install advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

bicurl

-
Reaction score
Moving into a new build property in the near future so planning the 33 odd sqm garage space.
Will be used for restoring individual cars so want a durable, permanent and comfortable space - Heating is another conversation
smile.gif

Have opted for Dotti porcelain tiles - 300mmx300mm (grade 5, non slip, full through tile)
Previously had experience with Epoxy flooring but want to try a different option this time around.

Looking for some sound advice around the laying/prep required for the tiles, as some tilers/quotes have differing opinions about the laying of the tiles;

Garage is under the main master bedroom, garage walls/ceiling will be insulated and plasterboarded and looking to get an insulated door over the standard non version that will come with the property.
The concrete base has a DPM layer and trying to understand from the builder if there is an insulation layer down there too.

One tiler would opt for; 6mm insulation boards with an anti fracture matt then tiling on top.
another;
No insulation boards and matt layer required and tiling on a solid bed using a non void trowel using flexible tile adhesive - Will add an expansion joint in the middle along grout route/gap - They would also seal the porcelain tiles

Conflicting info gets me thinking, what is the best solution here - any advice would be appreciated.

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Might need to prime and self level it. concrete is usually very uneven. Then tile straight over it
No mating or boards required.

Reaction score
Definitely the second option - as Anthony recommends.

bicurl

-
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.
The concrete base will be relatively new.

Are you sure direct tiling to the substrate will not in the future cause issues with concrete movement etc..

I am no expert, just wanting to ensure that it is done correctly.
Again thanks for yout input.

Reaction score
If that's a possibility you could install an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra. I wouldn't trust tile backer such as kerdi or jackoboard to take the weight of a car but i could be wrong in that.

Reply to Garage floor tiling prep/install advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks