Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Is there any easy way to fix these faults? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aimee72

Wonky grout lines or not, it's still a million times better than the pink suite and orange swirly carpet we used to have :yikes: :smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

Orange and pink together..
MSN-Emoticon-sick-146.gif

A

Aimee72

Unfortunately not, the day it was all ripped out that was the first thing we thought - damn, no before pics! The image is burned into my memory forever though, we lived with it for five years! Bless them, the old couple that owned the house before us kept it spotlessly clean but it was like stepping back into a particularly colourful time warp. The blue artexed walls in the hall were especially nice. It was definitely the house that taste forgot.

U

user123

Chandelier in the bathroom... aawwhh... bless that old couple, they just wanted to make it look really posh!!! How tastes have changed... bet the house has a nice feel to it though, if it's been kept so nice and clean, there is something endearing about all that, isn't there... only for so long, but still... like visiting your granny and be all cosy... :)

U

user123

why am i picturing pink fluffy toilet seat covers
probably dehydrated will fix:8:

I think you need to talk about this, Jay... :lol: oh, and crocheted toilet roll covers.... :yesnod: see, things used to be made cosy with lots of tlc... you want that, don't you, Jay deary :) And.... deep breath.... all those things will probably make a comeback.... I need to get to sleep before I conjure up nightmares, night-night :)

J

jay

I think you need to talk about this, Jay... :lol: oh, and crocheted toilet roll covers.... :yesnod: see, things used to be made cosy with lots of tlc... you want that, don't you, Jay deary :) And.... deep breath.... all those things will probably make a comeback.... I need to get to sleep before I conjure up nightmares, night-night :)
now thats really starting to scare me must be more dehydrated than i thought
:8::8::8:

R

Rich

Hopefully he will look at the grouting when he returns and agree he has rushed it and offer to redo it. Sometimes when people rush things they get a 'that'll do' attitude. British standards is 15mm for the ply btw not 18mm but that all depends on how much movement, if any, there was in the floor

You are right but 15mm is very hard to find, 18mm on the other hand is easily picked up at any builers yard or DIY shop (I wasnt quoting BS).

Aimee72, I think the guys above have given you all the advice you need, I hope he will be ok when he gets back from Oz and will sort the job out for you with min fuss so that you can get on with enjoying the room that you have been waiting for for so long :thumbsup:

S

Scott

Glad to see this has all calmed down a bit :)

Richard i know you were quoting BS I just wanted to make sure the info given was correct is all :thumbsup:

M

Michael kiss

£xx 2m for ceramic is very pricey!, you would expect this for stone, You need to get him back to fix all the problems until you are happy with them, work needs to be done to your satisfaction, not his!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

I would agree that £xx PSM is on the high side.

I would also reflect on some of the posts that have appeared here in the last day, especially Scottley's. I used the word unforgivable to describe the mess around the window in my post, probably a little strong. But the mess around the windows and the grouting should have been easy to get right and should be easy to put right.

No one is going to get each grout line exactly spot on with those tiles due to the very slight size variation. There are techniques to improve on that - don't necessarily rely on spacers at every corner or - as has been suggested to me - carry a couple of different sized spacers - say 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm.

I would say that the guy has some idea of what he should be doing. However a look into this site would be the least I would suggest of him. If I were him I would be tempted to take the opportunity to learn from this experience.

As for the lady who posted this up. When he comes back from Holiday I would draw up a list of what you're not happy with then give him the opportunity to put them right. Don't get too het up about the price you paid. When you put this into context it works out that you may have paid a few hundred more than you needed to for the tiling. When you consider what is usually spent on a bathroom of this type that isn't that much.

We have times when we question our choice of tradesman. I hired a couple of guys to help convert a shop front into a domestic fascade. The first two days went well, then they had to start building a block wall. Looking back on it I really felt that they didn't want to do it out of blockwork, but I insisted. The work went very slow and was actually terrible. Now I am a jobbing builder, but felt completely helpless as I wanted to get the wall built then deal with the problems later. What I should have done is paid them off after 3 days (2 days good work plus one day when I knew they were struggling), and completed it myself.

There wasn't a string line in site. They were using a 2 ft level to build a wall some 8 ft high - no kidding!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is there any easy way to fix these faults? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks