Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mp3wizard

Thanks for the tips, I have ordered another 10 bags of slc to go over the top, so hopefully that should sort it out

average

TF
Reaction score
Subbed in so I know where to find this. Interesting thread!

I know the OP hasnt done all exactly to plan but I think he'll pull it off. Maybe not to a professional finish but hey, he's doing it himself and i think he'll be happy with his own finish. I've seen some horrendous diy tiling and no-one in their house or visitors even notice the difference. As long as the OP is happy, and it's safe to walk on, then that's fine with me. OP, I don't really have advice on how to go about it but all I can say is good luck and I hope you finish it to a finish you and your family are happy with.

As for the critics on here OP, you have to understand they are times served tilers, are excellent at what they do and take pride in their trade. It's to be expected the criticism because of your issues. Hopefully they stick around and help you out of the sticky situation your in at the moment.

Last edited:
M

mp3wizard

image.jpg
Yep I'm over the spat now, seeing it from both perspectives.

Well I finished the 2nd batch of slc, it's certainly not seamless but I have the slc coming next week to go all over the top.

It was frustrating to see one or 2 cables pop up even after pressing them down but hopefully it should be sorted on the next batch. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

H

hmtiling

What brand of slc are you using?
If you can get hold of it try Rocatex xl500. Very good flow and user friendly.
Good luck

M

mp3wizard

image.jpg
I had 5 bags of one brand then realised I needed more so bought another 3 bags then same story again so bought another 5, all different brands, the 10 additional bags are all the same brand of the first stuff I used, which was pretty smooth.

Why are you speechless Andy?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At how bad it's turned out !
Sorry just being honest.
However get good flow on your second coat and hopefully it's salvageable. :)

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I thought you had height issues?? More self level is only going to make the situation worse. Especially if it's like the stuff you have already poured. Not to put too fine a point on it but some 4 x 4's would struggle over that surface.

M

mp3wizard

Well I believe the main problems were;

Not enough bags, so did 2 attempts of 3 different brands, even though correct mix was followed the really rough patches were the slc that was really crap make and out of date.

Going over the matting with the roller was bringing up the mats, even though they were stuck down with additional tape, the mats were also freying and losing threads, so I had to really stop rolling as aggressively as I would of liked.

Solution -

adequate bags all of same make to be done in 1 go.

No cables to worry about apart from 1 or 2 that are slightly proud which I will go careful around.

Use the trowel less to spread into corners, more pouring in correct places and using the spiked roller easier.

Experience of the first 2 attempts and what to look out for quicker.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen