Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paula

Are you 100% sure water isn't getting under the screen ?

Well, all I know is that the tiler scraped out all the grout on the wet side of the screen and replaced it with epoxy, which still looks intact, then we put a large amount of clear silicone where the metal frame of the screen meets the tiles. So I would say it was almost impossible for water to get under the screen from on top of the tiles. Strangely, the grout does not get wet on the 'dry' side until a couple of inches away from the screen!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Well, all I know is that the tiler scraped out all the grout on the wet side of the screen and replaced it with epoxy, which still looks intact, then we put a large amount of clear silicone where the metal frame of the screen meets the tiles. So I would say it was almost impossible for water to get under the screen from on top of the tiles. Strangely, the grout does not get wet on the 'dry' side until a couple of inches away from the screen!

It seems it could be creeping in the adhesive bed... How is the drain sealed at the tile edges ?

P

Paula

It seems it could be creeping in the adhesive bed... How is the drain sealed at the tile edges ?

The tiler didn't leave much room between the tile and the metal drain edge, but the tiny gaps were originally sealed with ordinary Bal grout, and now Mapei epoxy (although I can't guarantee that he was able to scrape out every tiny bit of original grout....

P

Paula

I've just tried to take some photos of the wet patches of grout on the 'dry' side of the screen (12 hours after last shower!). Used a low quality image as I had trouble uploading photos before, but I can try higher resolution if you can't see anything!

Attachments

• P7130061.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 233
  • P7130062.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 223

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It possibly just needs regrouting and some care going into making sure it's mixed and she's off properly with not too much water.

T

The D

That's very interesting, deanotile! So where exactly was the water coming from in the shower? Do you mean from somewhere in the tray? And, more importantly, how did you fix it?
one was a leak from the shower control where the plumber had not compressed the olive enough and the water was soaking throgh the adhesive and coming out in the grout joints on the floor and the other was a badly sealed wall jet and the effect was much the same as the first one. the plumer fixed the leak and the problem was solved

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen