Discuss Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

Tell them about this thread. Link it on twitter. Get them to assume crash position and move into damage limitation mode.

J

joanne_987

Hi. It seems as if I just encountered the same problem here :(
It is not BAL, it is some exclusive grout made for a certain tiles shop (don't want to disclose them just yet) - I bought black one for the walls, and grey for the floor, same manufacturer. Grey on floor looks and behaves OK, but black just doesn't dry out it seems. It's been a week since it was put, but if we wet it with a finger/cloth - it still terribly stains the finger or cloth and it doesn't seem to get better with the time. I cannot imagine how shower walls will look like if it will continue stain like that in wet conditions.
Can it be just that black grout is more complicated than other ones and we need to wait a bit longer?

T

Time's Ran Out

Unfortunately without knowing which manufacturer you have used it will be difficult to express an opinion. Some grouts take longer to dry than others, and black definitely has issues.

J

joanne_987

Unfortunately without knowing which manufacturer you have used it will be difficult to express an opinion. Some grouts take longer to dry than others, and black definitely has issues.
But even if they take longer, it still cannot possibly be longer than 1 week, can it?
What other issues black grout has? It's hard to remove the residue and stains terribly, yes - but I haven't heard yet that it doesn't dry out completely...
It is a Toolshed Tiling Accessories, wallsandfloors's own brand. I chose because they advertised multiple features like wetroom/swimming pools suitability, anti-mould, etc.

T

Time's Ran Out

There will be others who have used that brand and may be able to help.
Me I've never heard of it.
Most proprietary bands have those features.

J

joanne_987

There will be others who have used that brand and may be able to help.
Me I've never heard of it.
Most proprietary bands have those features.
Suppose so, perhaps I was too gullible to get the grout which was advertised there most. I wish I chose a more known brand
I feel so low because of the whole situation, as it means we should hire someone again to take the grout out, and then regrout again, and it all takes so much time, and it feels like I haven't had a bath in my own home in ages

B

Blunt Tool

Who grouted the walls with the black grout, it sounds as tho too much water was used, mixed too runny and washed off with too much water that grout has lost all strength. Best to get a professional tiler in to have a look and regrout for you, I know it's a pain but quicker it's done and you can enjoy your bath.

J

joanne_987

Who grouted the walls with the black grout, it sounds as tho too much water was used, mixed too runny and washed off with too much water that grout has lost all strength. Best to get a professional tiler in to have a look and regrout for you, I know it's a pain but quicker it's done and you can enjoy your bath.
It was a tiler we hired, and I suppose he knew what he was doing, since the floor he did alright with another grout. I have a feeling it is to do with a grout.. I will test it on some sample tile, mixing it properly, not overwatering it, etc. we have loads of it left.

J

joanne_987

And it is VERY hard to find a professional tiler :( Especially now that the work doesn't seem too nice to do - remove and redo the grout, not many would agree to do that

J

Jon B

I am sorry to hear you had a similar problem to me. I raked out the grout on 3 walls, a messy job and very hard to do without nicking the edges of tiles. The outcome of mine was a goodwill financial gesture from BAL and the suggestion the bags had had storage issues. They never suggested it was in the mixing or in the way the grout was washed off or cleaned. Well they came from Topps and were stored indoors at all times. Just in case, I now weigh the water and powder as per the instructions as I could not face this problem again. I still have the floor and the wall with the WC and vanity unit to do. The grout still comes off on my finger if I wet and rub in those last 2 areas and the grout is darker in places as if it is always damp.

Reply to Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks