Discuss Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jon B

Hi hope someone can help. I have quite a few years of tiling experience but never had this problem before. Fortunately the job was in our own house and we have another shower so there is no irate customer but my wife.
3 weeks ago I completed a fully tiled ensuite including a shower area. The tiles are 600x300 porcelain, the adhesive was Topps bagged slow-set adhesive. I grouted with BAL bagged Micromax. The grout was opened in november for another job and had been kept in dry conditions. After a week we used the shower for the first time (it was used twice for I suppose 10 mins total) and found grout dust in the tray. On closer inspection I could see the surface of the lower grout lines was soft and bits had washed off. So I raked out the affected grout lines, re-grouted with the same product but from a new bag and this time left it for 2 weeks as per the manufacturer's guidelines. Just used the shower this morning and we have the same problem on grout lines grouted with the older grout 3 weeks ago and with the newer grout 2 weeks ago. If I run my finger along the grout lines, it is as if it were only grouted yesterday, the surface is soft and can be smeared, even out of the direct shower area where the grout is wet from spray and condensation. My fear is that I will have to rake it all out in the shower area and redo with a new bag. I have used this grout many times before and never had this problem. Any ideas?

J

Jon B

Thanks for the replies, looks like there is a consensus that I will need to redo. I will call technical in the morning. However there is 20 sqm. If I use a different make, surely that means re-grouting it all. The toilet, vanity unit etc will all have to come out. Then there is the risk of chipping edges, the mess and dust. Cannot believe this is happening, perhaps I have been using a bad batch.

J

J Sid

speak to Bal tomorrow, maybe a batch problem and their goods have a guarantee so many get a result out of them.
what did Bal say to you @jcrtiling ?

J

Jon B

Thanks I will call them tomorrow. But what will they do at best, refund the bag? It'll take work over 3 days to take everything out, chase the grout, re-grout, clean and put everything back. That's a complete nightmare!

J

J Sid

you never know, tell them what's happened, batch number or when a where you bought them, maybe old stock from shop. if so shop will need to put it all right. Have you still got bags ? give Bal a chance to do a site visit.
tell them you've been on here telling us about your problems
Report back with the out come

J

Jon B

The grout was bought last summer with a date of this coming June so in date. It has been stored in my house since november.

J

Jon B

I have registered the issue with BAL and Topps as per their procedure and I am waiting for an appointment for technicians from both to visit together. Apparently they will do test samples and they will test the batch number of samples they hold. I will be very surprised if either agree responsibility and this will probably waste more time but if I do not try, I'll never know. The thought of having to rake our 20 sqm of grout without damaging the tiles is a nightmare.

D

Dumbo

I have registered the issue with BAL and Topps as per their procedure and I am waiting for an appointment for technicians from both to visit together. Apparently they will do test samples and they will test the batch number of samples they hold. I will be very surprised if either agree responsibility and this will probably waste more time but if I do not try, I'll never know. The thought of having to rake our 20 sqm of grout without damaging the tiles is a nightmare.
Good luck . Let us all know how it plays out .

Reply to Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks