Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Floor Tiles Lifting On Anhydrite Screed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Been working alongside a plumbing and bathroom company on a job and the owner told me he'd had a failure on anhydride screed. He said they sanded the floor primed it with suitable primer and tiled it with benfer solo flex gypsum adhesive. The screed had been down over 6 months. The tiles have all popped off the floor and they blamed the tiler so for not putting an expansion joint in. I think it needed one putting in as its a large area but when they lifted the tiles all the screed was wet. Any options on this would be appreciated cheers. I thought if you didn't put expansion joints in the tiles tented up

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Yes had ufh and all fully commissioned before tiling commenced. Just weird how they are blaming expansion joints when it's all wet under tiles.

I

Ian

Sounds like the floor wasn't dry (strange after 6 months), I wonder if there's been a leak somewhere, gypsum adhesive doesn't like getting wet. Was the adhesive solid on the tile or a bit stodgy?

S

Spud

Is there a DPM under the screed and insulation and when was the moisture testing done ?

wayne

TF
Reaction score
It's a big floor around 90sqm. £100000 kitchen sat on top of the tiles.glad it's not my job. The adhesive was solid from the info I was told

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been working alongside a plumbing and bathroom company on a job and the owner told me he'd had a failure on anhydride screed. He said they sanded the floor primed it with suitable primer and tiled it with benfer solo flex gypsum adhesive. The screed had been down over 6 months. The tiles have all popped off the floor and they blamed the tiler so for not putting an expansion joint in. I think it needed one putting in as its a large area but when they lifted the tiles all the screed was wet. Any options on this would be appreciated cheers. I thought if you didn't put expansion joints in the tiles tented up

I've done one that has failed had reps out from Kerakoll, Mapei and the company that installed the floor. In my opinion nobody has a clue the product seems to be unstable, I ended up going with Kerrakol Eco h40 I think(memory lacking) it was mineral based floor a abraided and vacuumed as recommended. Six months later failed or should I say failing. Fortunately the contractor took responsibility for it because I refused to do it because it wasn't fully dry in my opinion.
Done another one recently but gone for Mapei adhesives as per there recommendations installed on ditra then if it does fail the floor should hopefully stay in position. Gyvlon, anhydrite what ever you want to call it "walk away" nothing but trouble.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Not sure where it was John. The plumber was telling me about it on a job we're both on. I think he got all the gear from Sts. Plumbing company are from Wakefield

wayne

TF
Reaction score
I will ask him Monday. I just thought it was funny that they are blaming it on no expansion joints when the floor was damp under the tiles

Reply to Floor Tiles Lifting On Anhydrite Screed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks