The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Failed floor dot & dab in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

What member type are you?
Homeowner
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Attachments

TileFix Direct
Homeowner
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No another contractor screed the floor, laid the underfloor heating panels and then put Cellecta screedboard on top. he also didn’t prime the screed board prior to fitting the tiles, and didn’t back butter them either, or use a notch trowel

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reactions
392 1
The tiles haven’t been fixed properly. On a positive note it’s probable that the tiles will come up easily and be able to be rescued

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
18,319 184
total mess, and unacceptable, if he won't come back and fix it I hope you sue the pants off him, idiots like this shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a tiling insulation, and if he's always tiled this way, then he's been doing it wrong, and I dread to think of the trail of destruction he's left behind.

was he actually a tiler or a builder or multi trader ??

finlay

TF
Arms
Reactions
1,277 2
Sorry to hear this ,no option but to rip up and start again. The tiles hopefully should come up easy and you could save most of them .Makesure you get a proper tiler to re tile ,plenty of good tilers on here who maybe able to help .All the best going forward .

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,645 58 1
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Did you contract the tiler , or was he supplied by by a third party
Post automatically merged:

Who has lifted the tile for you

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,806 33
I'm guessing the celecta screed board is floating. I've tiled on this before, properly though, but can't offer a guarantee. His methods are certainly poor but might not be the only reason for failure. A floating floor system was a bad choice for a tiled finish

Reactions
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Last edited:

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,645 58 1
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Do you know what , we always have british standards mentioned more usually by ourselfs than visitors to this site and i only think it only serves to fudge the issue , as ive said before its not law ,you wont go to jail, its not even building regs , ie new houses are getting built without tanking in wet areas and building control dont care , now what im getting to is this , if a bs non compliant job is done and hasnt failed should it be redone , or if a job that is done to british standards and fails could the tiler say , it was done to bs its your problem now ,
What it should really come down to has it failed yes/no
Is it acceptable yes/no

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,806 33
In this instance I think whoever specced a floating floor should be partially culpable too.

Reply to Failed floor dot & dab in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

UK Pro Tiling Training

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

Click here to support the forum/remove ads
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.