Discuss Bathroom Floor Tile Advice in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We are currently re-doing our bathroom. Everything has been stripped back. Property is a 1930's house. The bathroom floor boards had terrible woodworm so after removing and treating the joists for woodworm, we have replaced the floorboards with 12mm structural ply-board as advised by a well known Tile shop.

Over the BH weekend we have begun tiling the floor (DIY'ers, never tiled before). I prepped the ply with SikaBond SB Stabiliser and let dry, and we used Mapei Flexi adhesive and spread evenly across the whole tile (no dot and dab). Now the floor is complete, the tiles seem to have a small amount of bounce in them. Not one specific tile, collectively together they move slightly. None are loose, and it's not just one. We haven't grouted yet as still have walls to do, is this normal for tiles to have a small amount of flexible bounce on a floor? They are stuck solid and cannot be easily removed.

Grateful for any advice, please be kind, first time tiling.

Last edited:

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
My initial concern is "12mm", is this a typo? Please advise that you used a minimum of 18mm board.
I would have also overboard the ply with 6mm cement boards prior to tiling.
If tiling direct onto the 18mm boards I would have primed the boards with a neat acrylic primer (Ardex P51 is my go to) and then used a S2 grade adhesive (Ardex x7001 is my go to).

gamer1

-
Reaction score
It's great that you're tackling a DIY bathroom renovation project! The slight bounce you're experiencing in your newly tiled floor may be due to a few factors:

Plywood Subfloor: Plywood can have some flexibility, which might lead to a slight bounce. Using structural plyboard is a good choice, but it can still have some give.

Adhesive Thickness: Ensure that you applied the Mapei Flexi adhesive evenly and consistently across the entire floor. If there are inconsistencies in adhesive thickness, it can result in slight movement.

Floor Joists: While you treated the joists for woodworm, double-check that they are structurally sound and not contributing to the bounce.

Grouting: After grouting, the tiles may become more stable as the grout provides additional support.

Tile Size: Larger tiles tend to have more flex than smaller ones due to their size and weight distribution.

Before proceeding with grouting, ensure that the adhesive has fully cured as per the manufacturer's instructions. After grouting, your floor may become more rigid, reducing any remaining bounce. If the bounce remains a concern, consult with a professional to assess the subfloor and tile installation. Btw. for my bathroom I bought cool bathtub. Overall, remember that slight movement isn't uncommon, but it's essential to ensure it doesn't compromise the integrity of your bathroom floor over time. Good luck with the rest of your project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Ah, the joys (and occasional frustrations) of DIY bathroom renovations! It sounds like you've been through quite the journey with those pesky woodworms and the whole shebang. But hey, you're tackling it like a champ!

Now, onto the tiling adventure – a first-time endeavour, no less! Kudos to you for diving in headfirst. Prepping the ply with SikaBond SB Stabiliser and using Mapei Flexi adhesive? You're speaking my language :)

But uh-oh, a little bounce in the tiles, you say? Not exactly what you were expecting, I'm sure. Here's the scoop: A tiny bit of flexibility isn't uncommon, especially with a floor that's seen its fair share of history like yours. As long as the tiles are snugly stuck in place and not easily budging, you're probably okay. It's like they're doing a little dance of their own, but nothing to fret about.

Now, before you start grouting and wrapping up the whole shebang, why not double-check everything? Make sure the adhesive has had enough time to set properly, and maybe even give each tile a gentle tap to see if any sound suspiciously hollow. And hey, if all else fails, a quick chat with a tiling pro like those at Melksham Bathroom Fitter might ease your mind.
Remember, we're all learning as we go, and you're doing an ace job for a first-timer! Keep that positive attitude flowing, and before you know it, you'll have a bathroom that's straight out of a magazine. Go you!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you're not trying to spam my forum matey. You wont get far I promise. :)

Reaction score
Regarding your concern about the tiles having a slight bounce after tiling your bathroom floor, it's understandable to feel a bit uncertain, especially if you're new to tiling. While it's not uncommon for tiles to exhibit some flexibility, particularly if the floor substrate has a bit of give to it, it's essential to ensure that the tiles are adequately supported to prevent any issues down the line.

Given that you've already treated the joists for woodworm and replaced the floorboards with structural ply-board, you've taken steps to create a sturdy base for your tiles. The use of SikaBond SB Stabiliser for prepping the ply-board was a good move to enhance the adhesion of the tiles.

However, it's essential to consider a few factors that may contribute to the slight bounce you're experiencing. Firstly, the thickness and quality of the ply-board can play a role in how stable the floor feels. While 12mm structural ply-board is commonly used for tiling, ensuring that it's properly installed and adequately supported is crucial.

Additionally, the type of adhesive used can impact the overall rigidity of the tile installation. Mapei Flexi adhesive is designed to provide flexibility, which is beneficial for accommodating slight movements in the substrate. However, if the tiles collectively exhibit noticeable bounce, it may be worth reassessing the adhesive application to ensure proper coverage and bonding.

Before proceeding with grouting, I would recommend double-checking the installation to ensure that all tiles are securely bonded to the substrate. While they may feel solid and not easily removable, addressing any areas of concern now can help prevent potential issues in the future.

If you're still unsure it might be helpful to consult with a professional tiler

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bathroom Floor Tile Advice in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks