Search the forum,

Discuss dry wall sanding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dangerfield

Just wondered if any pros here could advise me on the best way to sand a wall. Which machine etc. The wall would need some quite heavy sanding to truly bring it flat in places (3-5 mm in raised places) before receiving tile. Any advice..... thanks

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If the filler is proud but that much I would sy that there is something wrong, normally the joints are tapered edge boards, where the 2 boards meet then creates a void, this is what should be taped and filled, sounds to me like maybe they have used square edge boards. It is hard to say without having seen the job though, what you'll have to be careful of is not damaging the boards when sanding. There are various machines for the job but to get the 'proper' finish I would say use a block and paper.

My 2 cents, hope it helps.

G

grumpygrouter

You need to keep the paper finish intact to keep the integrity of the board. If you remove even 3mm this will destroy any strength in that area of the board making it potentially dangerous to tile onto. Find out why you have such a big "hump" in the first place before attacking it with a sander. :thumbsup:

J

jay

as above be careful is it plaster board your talking about and is it top coated :8: ( think you call it skim coat )

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dangerfield

hi. thanks chaps. i failed to mention that the wall isnt boarded. I believe its a sand cement render ontop of blockwork. But very bumpy in places. Wanted to simply grind / sand this down without boarding over it or replastering???? I know there r different abrasive pads but not sure what to use or even palm sander, grinder, etc etc

D

dangerfield

hi. thanks for the quick response. Yeah its pretty solid and stable. Dont think there's a skim layer of plaster. Good render just needs flattening in isolated spots.

cheers

D

dangerfield

Makita 80mm dia Diamond Blade or try the Montolit Diamond pad set
cheers for that i shall investigate.

J

jay

hi use a 2 m strait edge to work out if they are bumps or hollows if hollows fill with adh prior to tiling prime first with acrilic primer (dont use pva) if humps you will need to grind off hope this helps :8:

Reply to dry wall sanding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've just installed Weberfloor flex in a small area 1m2 @35-40mm depth in one pour...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen