Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked Glaze tile.to seal or no seal...that is the question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tiler Blackpool

Hi Guys.
Anyone ever fixed this tile before? Has hundreds of hairline cracks running through the glaze and soaks in moisture. Never laid them myself before so just wondering if it needs sealing prior to grouting? grouting it later today!! in white grout.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup: tile.jpg

C

Concrete guy

Ask the manufacturer, their instructions for these things still vary.

Many will sell these as decorative products only suitable for non wet areas other's say you can tile showers with them - there is a lot of disparity so it's best to get the spec from the horses mouth before you end up with an expensive mistake.

D

David - Tradetiler

I sealed mine at home with Universeal Rapid All-In-1 Sealer (that we sell) it has worked really well, the solvent base allows it to penetrate, Lithofin Stainstop etc will be ok also.

However if you have areas behind a hob where hot fat/oil from a frying pan splashes I really don't recommend this type of tile. Even with the best impregnating sealer you will not be able to totally protect against hot fat/oils splashes.

A topical (coating) sealer would protect but would look ugly on that type of tile plus might not adhere well to the glazed surface.

T

Tiler Blackpool

Thanks ATS. They are from abroad. And im not sure where my customer purchased them from as shes out.

D

David - Tradetiler

Forgot to say - I lightly sealed mine first (not wanting to get any sealer down the joints), grouted, then second coated later to seal the grout too. I wouldnt expect using standard white grout on them unsealed would be a problem if you need to get on with it and seal later. (test on a spare tile first)

O

On one

Done a few like this before...sealed with Lithofin Stainstop prior to fitting because if you have to wet cut any tiles they soak up the dirty water like a sponge....getting underneath the glaze.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Used this stuff a while ago.

LTP Crackle Glaze Protector | LTP Online | Tile Cleaning, Sealing and Maintenance Products

Hate crackled tiles.......the bloody noise drives me nuts. :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Same as Cam. I did a bathroom last year in crackle glaze, sealled with polished porcelain protector, grouted and sealled again after.

I wouldnt grout before sealling as some can suck grout under the glaze.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The glaze also continues to crackle once fixed, just put one to your ear for a minute and you should be able to hear it.

Reply to Cracked Glaze tile.to seal or no seal...that is the question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen