Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cement dust on Indian Sandstone HELP! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chalklands

Hi,
I'm repointing my indian sandstone patio with a dry mix (4:1). Tried a test area first, but when I brush the mix into the joints the dust is staining the sandstone. Is this OK?? I've brushed off as much dust as I can. The stone hasn't been sealed.

Any advice would be welcome!

Pete

S

Spud

Have you got any pictures ? Don't do any more for now until you get the correct advice on cleaning up what you have done

C

chalklands

Have you got any pictures ? Don't do any more for now until you get the correct advice on cleaning up what you have done
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. As it was only a small test area I managed to remove the cement dust with water and elbow grease! Certainly wouldn't want to do that for the whole patio!!

Should indian sandstone be sealed?

Pete

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Have you contaminated the whole stone or a banding effect around the stones?

Photos would be good as Gary suggested ,

Do not use brick clean or hydocloric as this can bring on iron oxide blooms in the stone but also damage ( lighten ) the surface. It depend on the geological make on this type of stone.

If you have just filled the surface capillaries with dust and it has hardened , you should be able to use a suitable ( specifically for this type of stone) mortar / grout/ efflorescence product. Some will be hyd combination acids.

Ensure you do a test on an unlaid stone to determine suitability of product on the stone as well as then testing on one stone laid for dilution of product to remove the issue.

If you were to seal this , you would use an impregnator for external (once fully dry). Be aware that the product will only line the capillary of this type of stone finish not fill it , so you could have the same problem and still need to be careful even if you do seal. I know a lot of the external fitters now gun in the mortar with these textured finishes of stone. Sure the guys on here may have some tips for you

Hope this may help a bit,again photo may tell us more

C

chalklands

I'll rethink how I repoint I think.

Talking about sealers, has anybody used this product:
Is it any good? 'The World Of Stone Sealer'. They advertise on this site.[h=2][/h]

Reply to Cement dust on Indian Sandstone HELP! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks