Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can ceramic tiles warp during storage? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Daz

I feel this is a dumb question but I've had another day from hell, today, so apologies and I hope it makes sense.

I've been working with a very light ceramic 480 x 320 in brickbond, today.
The issue that I have is every tile has been "proud" of the corners below when I pack the tile so that the new corners are flush with the centre of the lower tile (plasterer did a rubbish job, too, so that's not helping either). It seems that no matter how I pack the tiles the centre is always pround or the edges are sunk so I have shadowing everywhere. it's like trying to tile with bananas!

Can ceramic tiles warp? Is that my problem, or can anyone sugest how I can overcome this issue, please?

Thanks in advance.

D

DHTiling

Tiles can bow after firing as they are cooled and stored , it is usually the larger format ones....it might be advisable to use a wider grout joint to disguise the bowing.......good luck..

A

abskiing

I spent an hour going through a supply of tiles in my local Topps store. Client had bought 20 boxes of wall tiles and the first 6 opened were warped, I could have tiled a barrel with them there was a difference of nearly half an inch between centre and edge on some of them......warped during firing..

abskiing

M

MICK the Tiler

Have to agree with the other comments Faulty tile due to firing and allowing to cool too quick not much can be done certainly not the fixers fault.

P

pro-tile

If I come across bent tiles and they can,t be replaced I often recommend quater-bonding the tiles when fixing helps with the lipping.

W

wetdec

This generally happens with extruded floor tiles they get concave during firing and its alowable so not a fault. Its a good way to spot a tiler that doesnt know what he should, his floor tiles sound hollow in the centre.

Personally I have rarely laid a tile and not risen it to check the bond, yes I know its a little more time but I defy anyone to find a hollow tile I have laid.

Nothing worse than a woman in high heels walking across a floor you laid and one of the tiles is hollow, she will tell everyone she draws breath with and you lose custom.

tiler :thumbsup:

Reply to Can ceramic tiles warp during storage? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks