Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Building up on marmox for mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

My marmox shower tray is quite lower than my floor tiles since laid so is it ok to build it up with adhesive and shape to the drain prior to laying the mosaics.

It's mainly on the back wall the porcelain mosaics are approx 8mm the floor tiles are 10mm and the difference from the shower tray to the underside of the tile will be around 7mm.
I have read on here approx a 3-4 mm bed is the norm.
It's my first time doing this and I can't see any other way of doing it any pointers would be appreciated.

I did try to bump up the mosaic with a fat bed but they went all over the place so I pulled it all off.

Thanks in advance kelvin..

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
That's what I thought I would do,it's to keep the wall tile level as it runs along the shower tray due to the height difference.

I was concerned about building up the level in layers.

Is a 3-4 mm bed sufficient for 8mm porcelain mosaics?

H

hmtiling

What size are your mosaics as some if not all foam core formers have minimum size allowances due to point loading

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Yes they are 50 mm porcelain cheers for the input.

I shall form the tray with adhesive where I need too and then lay them over that ...

S

SJPurdy

To form a nice even base layer alongside the edge of the tiling: cut a notch (thickness of mosaic plus bed (11mm)) deep out of one end of a piece of wood (say 300mm long if that is how much slope you need). Spread some adhesive next to the tiles and then run the piece of wood along the edge of the tiles with the notched end over the tiles and this will give a nice smooth slope which when set will make the mosaic tiling easier.

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
To form a nice even base layer alongside the edge of the tiling: cut a notch (thickness of mosaic plus bed (11mm)) deep out of one end of a piece of wood (say 300mm long if that is how much slope you need). Spread some adhesive next to the tiles and then run the piece of wood along the edge of the tiles with the notched end over the tiles and this will give a nice smooth slope which when set will make the mosaic tiling easier.

Thanks for the advice I did this,it helped...

Reply to Building up on marmox for mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks