Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss best sealer for travertine?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

basshunter

anyone got any favourites in terms of performance/price/how long it lasts etc??how much will i need for 40m2 of honed and filled trav?

-another pricing lesson learnt:lol:

S

simonb43

Topps do a sealer for travertine. think it might be a 500ml bottle, around £25 and i think it covers 20m2.I'm not certain, but it gives you an idea of the cost. Make sure you advise customer that it is their cost, not yours. Gaz @ Topps will give you the proper price. Good luck

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Checkout Sure Seal spray - apparently really quick to use and does the job perfect. I'm pretty sure you can use it on any tile.

Thought there are a few names that come recommended - Gaz flogs one in topps that's good. He'll post later no doubt. I forget the name of it now.
----
beat me to it lol.

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

I use lithofin stainstop....great product...as are most makes.....its best to use an impregnating sealer and not a topical ( coating) sealer as this last longer and protect better....topps sell Fila products and they will be fine as well....

B

basshunter

i like the look of the lithofin dave.is there a trade outlet you use?

been looking at sealers choice gold too.98 quids for 3.75l....with 40m2 to seal im thinking i will need 4 litres at least
----
argh!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You can buy it on line at Extensive limited but i get mine from my local CTD branch..

Here,s a calculator for working out how much sealant you will need for certain types on stones.....this is for lithofin products but should roughly work the same for other makes as well....

[DLMURL]http://www.extensive.co.uk/product.php/56/0//ecc9ea0c1d7bbd5e390eac1b7d46f66a#calculatorAnchor[/DLMURL]

R

russ

lithofin for me too :thumbsup: ( make sure the rooms well ventilated or you will end up high as a kite):grin:

P

Proper Job

i Have used loads of different sealers for natural all giving different results there each to there own some bring out the colours more than others, i would not recommend sealers they just coat the surface, impregnators are the best.

Bal do a very good tile sealer and its pretty cheap soaks in well and wipes off easy.

lithofin and Fila are top quality impregnators and sealers you can't go wrong with there products, HG and Aquamix i'm not to fond off they darken light colours to much and dry like treacle.

Just remember to follow the instructions its normally leave for between 5 - 20 mins depending on product and re apply. Then do a test with water called the 30 second test. IF the water stays on the surface after 30 seconds they are fine.

Its a must that you clean all the natural stones before applying the impreg or sealer. I have tried a sponge roller, paint brush and jay cloths.

Jay cloth is about the best on large format tiles and a paint brush for natural mosaics.

Also use a decent quality grout a course grout can scratch the surface of some tiles. I Don't use mapei products i go with bal which have never failed or reacted. 1mm spacers if you can get them 2mm will be fine.

One last pointer is if you seal the tiles again after you have finished the job, it will change the colour of the grout, plus u need to make sure all the grout dust or haze has gone. I normally say to the customer do it once a year in a bathroom or when needed in heavy trafic area's.

If you leave the sealer to long use white spirits to clean excess off.

Hope this helps i have done loads of natural stone with great success

B

basshunter

hg impregnator 16 quid a litre.lithofin mn 36 quid a litre....massive price difference.i hope the hg gets me as high as the lithofin:lol:

thanks for the input.good forum this

P

Proper Job

Bal is about £12 and loads better than HG
----
Another thing mate if nackers the natural stone up your going to have to pay to put it right so that little bit extra could save your bacon. I can highly recommend the BAL even though its cheap.

V

Varley

I use the Fila Travertine sealer from topps, i'm sure one bottle will cover 40m2 and it's around £25.00, 2 coats before grouting and 1 afterwards, never had any problems.

B

basshunter

Bal is about £12 and loads better than HG
----
Another thing mate if nackers the natural stone up your going to have to pay to put it right so that little bit extra could save your bacon. I can highly recommend the BAL even though its cheap.

hi proper job,

top replys-appreciated
according to the spec sheet bal sealer is only a temporary sealer used before grouting?:whatchutalkingabout or do you use it as your complete sealer after grouting?

information overload:huh2: ...im lost in the murky world of which sealer to buy, ordered 5l of hg before i read your latest post -havnt paid for it yet though.

spose its down to personal preference and experiences with each product

V

Varley

hi proper job,

top replys-appreciated
according to the spec sheet bal sealer is only a temporary sealer used before grouting?:whatchutalkingabout or do you use it as your complete sealer after grouting?

information overload:huh2: ...im lost in the murky world of which sealer to buy, ordered 5l of hg before i read your latest post -havnt paid for it yet though.

spose its down to personal preference and experiences with each product

You've pretty much just hit the nail on the head mate, find one that you know does the job and are happy with and stick to it.

P

Proper Job

BAL Impregnating Tile Sealer is a deep penetrating sealer for use on porous tiles such as terracotta, slate and stone either to reduce water permeability of the surface or as a foundation seal for subsequent application of BAL Floor Tile Polish. Suitable for use on walls and floors. Reduces staining, seals with a matt finish enhancing the colour of tiles, providing a breathable surface on interior or exterior tiled surfaces, brick and stone.

I have tried pretty much all of them mate, and yes you can put a sealer on the top if you want. But it will change the natural colour of the tile alot and so i only use a impregnator and say to the customer if its in the kitchen or bathroom you can put a sealer on if you want for extra protection. I live by the head office for tile trend and they recommended the product to me, they sell all the top brands and even marble at over £350 quid per sqm and they said the bal is excellent and no need for a sealer afterwards because it does both. I had some white turkish marble once and i tried loads of different sealers and impregnators and the bal was the best. I can email you the photos of the job if you want
----
I always keep the following

Fila
HG
BAL
AquaMIX will no longer use there stuff
Lith

I do a sample test first show the customer first and see what they want, there is a big difference you will notice in colour change. Some people don't like it at all because it brings the colour out to much. Still needs to be sealed

Reply to best sealer for travertine?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks