Search the forum,

Discuss best sealer for travertine?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Proper Job

Bal is about £12 and loads better than HG
----
Another thing mate if nackers the natural stone up your going to have to pay to put it right so that little bit extra could save your bacon. I can highly recommend the BAL even though its cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Varley

I use the Fila Travertine sealer from topps, i'm sure one bottle will cover 40m2 and it's around £25.00, 2 coats before grouting and 1 afterwards, never had any problems.

B

basshunter

Bal is about £12 and loads better than HG
----
Another thing mate if nackers the natural stone up your going to have to pay to put it right so that little bit extra could save your bacon. I can highly recommend the BAL even though its cheap.

hi proper job,

top replys-appreciated
according to the spec sheet bal sealer is only a temporary sealer used before grouting?:whatchutalkingabout or do you use it as your complete sealer after grouting?

information overload:huh2: ...im lost in the murky world of which sealer to buy, ordered 5l of hg before i read your latest post -havnt paid for it yet though.

spose its down to personal preference and experiences with each product

V

Varley

hi proper job,

top replys-appreciated
according to the spec sheet bal sealer is only a temporary sealer used before grouting?:whatchutalkingabout or do you use it as your complete sealer after grouting?

information overload:huh2: ...im lost in the murky world of which sealer to buy, ordered 5l of hg before i read your latest post -havnt paid for it yet though.

spose its down to personal preference and experiences with each product

You've pretty much just hit the nail on the head mate, find one that you know does the job and are happy with and stick to it.

P

Proper Job

BAL Impregnating Tile Sealer is a deep penetrating sealer for use on porous tiles such as terracotta, slate and stone either to reduce water permeability of the surface or as a foundation seal for subsequent application of BAL Floor Tile Polish. Suitable for use on walls and floors. Reduces staining, seals with a matt finish enhancing the colour of tiles, providing a breathable surface on interior or exterior tiled surfaces, brick and stone.

I have tried pretty much all of them mate, and yes you can put a sealer on the top if you want. But it will change the natural colour of the tile alot and so i only use a impregnator and say to the customer if its in the kitchen or bathroom you can put a sealer on if you want for extra protection. I live by the head office for tile trend and they recommended the product to me, they sell all the top brands and even marble at over £350 quid per sqm and they said the bal is excellent and no need for a sealer afterwards because it does both. I had some white turkish marble once and i tried loads of different sealers and impregnators and the bal was the best. I can email you the photos of the job if you want
----
I always keep the following

Fila
HG
BAL
AquaMIX will no longer use there stuff
Lith

I do a sample test first show the customer first and see what they want, there is a big difference you will notice in colour change. Some people don't like it at all because it brings the colour out to much. Still needs to be sealed

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tactile

when sealing travertine do you seal it as many times as it takes until the tiles are totally saturated, before you stick them down?

or just give them the one coat
then another before grouting
then another at the end

or all of the above?

i have my first travertine job in a weeks time!

B

basshunter

from what i can make out:

fix tiles "raw" and work clean

seal

grout
seal,seal,seal until it wont drink anymore:thumbsup:

G

GazTech

from what i can make out:

fix tiles "raw" and work clean

seal

grout
seal,seal,seal until it wont drink anymore:thumbsup:
you can use this product...it impregnates...seals and is permanent....Gaz
FILA UNPLSHD TRAV/MARBLE IMPREG SEALER
Stain protection for unpolished travertine & tumbled marble.

Only £24.99

P

Proper Job

Fila is the best Gaz but regarding the sealing you really need to do it a few times, You can always test it to see if sealed ok by spraying water on the surface, if stays after 30 seconds its fine mate proceed to tile.

B

billy123

2 coats sealers goldprior to grout and 1 after around £21 from tile it all no point in cutting corners ive recently done 70 mtr job with it and used two bottles £21 is the trade price

Reply to best sealer for travertine?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen