Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bathroom tiles lifted in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi;

I am a homeowner who recently had an extension built with a ensuite, we bought Pro warm electric underfloor heating kit and a 600 x 600 tile for the floor

We had them installed pre Christmas and this last week the middle section of the tiles have all lifted / peaked up and cracked. 4 tiles right in the middle of the bathroom are affected but all the other tiles now sound hollow too when we tap them.

The method for install was a thermal board, electric matt, screed and primer which came with the pro warm mat.
The tiler insists he has used a good quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ Ultra Flexible
We did not turn the electric mat on for at least 6 weeks after install.
When I look at the back of the lifted tiles they are clean, no https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on them... https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ seems to have stayed on the screed.

My questions.
Do we need expansion gaps on this size of floor with electric underfloor heating ? size is no larger that 3m x 3m tiles are 600mm x 600mm porcelain matt and are sold as suitable for underfloor

I have had another tiler out and he states that its either substandard https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, not being primed properly or no back buttering of the tiles.

The tiler who fitted them said he never back butters, the primer he used was supplied from the underfloor heating kit and the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ he used was Ultra Flexible.

Can anyone shed any light on what could have happened please ?

I need to find a solution/ idea of whats gone wrong so I can get the tiler to correct it.

J

J Sid

Expansion joint all round perimeter.
Not back buttering tile is the most likely cause imho
Pics are good if you can

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Julian;

Thank you for your comments.

Here are some pics. Tiler who did the job told me no expansion gaps is needed on such a small area and he only back butters to fill up on an uneven floor gap, but not as a standard way to install.

Pics are attached to show you

Attachments

• Photo 09-02-2020, 09 10 50.jpg
    Photo 09-02-2020, 09 10 50.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo 09-02-2020, 09 11 15.jpg
    Photo 09-02-2020, 09 11 15.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo 09-02-2020, 09 11 44.jpg
    Photo 09-02-2020, 09 11 44.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo 09-02-2020, 09 12 49.jpg
    Photo 09-02-2020, 09 12 49.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo 09-02-2020, 09 14 29.jpg
    Photo 09-02-2020, 09 14 29.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo 14-02-2020, 20 01 36.jpg
    Photo 14-02-2020, 20 01 36.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 83
J

J Sid

No explanation joint around perimeter looks like the cause
Should have back buttered but could still have popped without explanation joint.
Original tile should redo it

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Julian, if there is no expansion gap around the perimeter then I get that is the likely cause, however when re-installing, along with the necessary expansion gap, would a decoupling membrane not be a good idea given what has happened to that floor already? Or do you not feel it necessary? Large format tiles with UFH says decoupling membrane to me, but I'm still learning the trade. Cheers. Edd

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Pro
Reaction score
did You turn the heating on gradually?
[automerge]1582145322[/automerge]
As this looks to me from the way they have cracked and lifted like rapid heat ingress

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pretty poor contact and trowel technique. Expansion joints at all edges are required. Back buttering helps with bonding, but not required. Heated floors were done properly for years before membranes came out, just looks to be a bad install. Shouldn't be able to see ridges from trowel.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Pretty poor contact and trowel technique. Expansion joints at all edges are required. Back buttering helps with bonding, but not required. Heated floors were done properly for years before membranes came out, just looks to be a bad install. Shouldn't be able to see ridges from trowel.
I did wonder about those swirls from the trowel. I was taught you have them all running in the same direction, then when you set the tile in, move it a few mm each way and back into place which collapses the ridges and gives you a good bed. Was also taught to back butter and have seen what a difference this makes whenever lifting to occasionally check a tile. Usually immediately after setting a tile down, if I have to lift it for some reason, it's really very hard work to pull the tile back up. I can't imagine those tiles would have taken any effort to lift back up.

J

J Sid

Julian, if there is no expansion gap around the perimeter then I get that is the likely cause, however when re-installing, along with the necessary expansion gap, would a decoupling membrane not be a good idea given what has happened to that floor already? Or do you not feel it necessary? Large format tiles with UFH says decoupling membrane to me, but I'm still learning the trade. Cheers. Edd
No membrane is needed with those tiles, thin porcelain and stone, yes.
Bad fixing technique, a membrane would not have helped in this situation Edd

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. You have mentioned exactly what the tiler who came to look at it said.

Just so I know, for an expansion gap what does it consist of ? Is the gap filled with silicone or with tile grout ?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is there skirting on, is it tiled up to wall tiles , a couple mm gap then silicone or gap than no silicone then skirts
[automerge]1582196135[/automerge]
Just seen its tiled up to tile, so silicone .
I know every customer says it gradually turned the heating on, but hand in hete , did u wack it in full pelt straight away ?
[automerge]1582196175[/automerge]
‘Hand on heart’

J

J Sid

Thanks to you all. You have mentioned exactly what the tiler who came to look at it said.

Just so I know, for an expansion gap what does it consist of ? Is the gap filled with silicone or with tile grout ?
5mm gap round room, clean of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout then silicon this gap

OP
J
Reaction score
Is there skirting on, is it tiled up to wall tiles , a couple mm gap then silicone or gap than no silicone then skirts
[automerge]1582196135[/automerge]
Just seen its tiled up to tile, so silicone .
I know every customer says it gradually turned the heating on, but hand in hete , did u wack it in full pelt straight away ?
[automerge]1582196175[/automerge]
‘Hand on heart’

There is wall tiles on most of the walls, just two areas with a small tile skirt. Rest butt up to wall tiles.

We didn't have the electrics connected for at least 6 weeks, (might have been even longer) after the tiles were laid. We waited ages for the sparky to come back.

Hubby turned on and is sure he put it on 16 degrees at start and then up to 20 .

Reply to Bathroom tiles lifted in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock