Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bal Adhesives in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WillCalderwood

I just had a chat with the Bal technical guys asking about priming ply, he asked what we were doing, which is:
Porcelain floor tiles on 18mm ply on joists at 300 centers. Large ceramic wall tiles on 18mm ply. I said we were going to use Rapidset Flexible. His response was 'You can't do that, that wont work'. He then asked all the details, and said we should be using Mosaic Fix on the walls and Single Part Flexi on the floor. No priming required. That was our only option.

I'm sure Bal know their stuff, however, I doubt their technical team are tiling with it every day in real world situations. What do tilers think? I've read elsewhere about using SBR bond on ply. Also, decoupling membrane, yay or nay?

Cheers

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'd be priming the plywood , no need for mosaic fix on walls , think their just trying to make a sale on mosaic fix which no one really uses anyway!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No need to prime the face of the ply just back and edges as mentioned above. I've done it with rapid set flexi and not had a problem. Not a great surface to tile though and should be avoided if possible

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if you want the best bal adhesive for the job, then the bal tech is right, at the end of the day there going to recommend there best product, as would any other adhesive company...

J

jonnyc

I do not tile on to ply at all walls or floors.
Well I have not tiled directly to ply for at least 12 -15 years either.
My recommendation would be that ply is overboarded with dukkaboard or similar.
I just hate the idea of tiling on to plywood when there are so many alternatives theses days full stop.
hardibacker instead of plywood but the chippies hate theses boards.
but strangely I have a job specified by architect working for an architect client right now and they both seem happy with fixing straight on to ply. I can only give my best advice and crucially put a disclaimer in if they do not follow it .
In the climate we are in ,where true professionals are competing against other quotes that may seem attractive to a client , I am of the opinion that if they accept my disclaimer ,I will just tile the floor or wall. You may say that is not right and I agree but the rules have changed .
i am not a chancer but I am self taught and I have followed tiling practices And recommendations .
go back four to five years and I would not have even entertained the idea of taking on a job tiling on to plywood.

W

WillCalderwood

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think we'll go with Bals advice. At least if it all goes wrong we've got someone to shout at then (As well as ourselves for using ply).

Question about cement boards. Can they be used for building a stud wall? Or are they normally just used as an overlay?

W

WillCalderwood

I'm guessing with the density they're probably more sound proof than ply too?

Reply to Bal Adhesives in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks