Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bad tiling on window sill. What to do. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all. Hope this is the right place to post this.

We had our bathroom done last year and over time we noticed that water was getting underneath the tiles on the window sill. The window sill is above a bath which has a shower so it gets quite wet after use. We're pretty good at cleaning off but water has still.got inside. The tiles have started to lift up a bit and there's a crack on one of the wall tiles. The builder and tiler that did the work are no longer contactable.

We're unsure what to do next. We had thought about putting some uPVC window board over the top but it's a shame. Also fitted glass was suggested. But again, it's a shame.

Can anyone recommend what we can do? We want to be able to use the shower still without any further issues. We also want something that looks good.

IMG_20190820_191454.jpg

IMG_20190820_191443.jpg

IMG_20190820_191446.jpg

Reaction score
The cracked tile will need replacing not sure what has caused it to go, has it only appeared recently? Guessing it is a block wall (could be plaster board dot and dabbed) the easiest solution would be a uPVC sill over the tiles but not ideal. If you are replacing one tile might as well lift the ones on the sill. Even if water has got in not sure why it has lifted, if a cement based adhesive was used onto block/render would have stayed put even if submersed! Maybe the original wooden sill was tiled over and has expanded. All depends on if you have any spare tiles?

Reaction score
The cracked tile will have to come off and where you go from there will depend what you find underneath. It doesn't look the best job to be honest. The grout has gone so the water will just seep underneath and cause more damage. Others on here will know better than I, but my view would be that it sounds like it's effectively a wet area and should be prepared as such.

D

Dumbo

It needs retailing, repairing whatever is necessary but when the new tiles go in make sure they have a positive fall so any water that falls on it runs towards the bath and make sure the trim is fitted well so it didn't hinder the waters passage

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry for the late reply.

To answer the questions:

We noticed it after about 6 months of using it. The wall behind is all brick. They removed the old tiles and put new ones on. Window sill was back to the original brickwork I believe so I don't there isnt any wood below.

I'm pleased you've all suggested to repair it. Thank God we have some spare tiles. We'll look for a decent tiler to get it done.

Couple more questions:

- Is it a big job to replace the lifted and cracked tiles?

- Do you think if the lifted tiles were replaced the same problem would happen again?

- Do you think the trim used has contributed to the issues?

Reply to Bad tiling on window sill. What to do. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks