Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice on Bad tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

Can I please ask for help from an expert? After discovering a leak & some cracked tiles (and that the previous tiler had done a botched job with only putting spots on glue on the tiles) we employed someone from checkatrade to do what we hoped would be a professional job re-tiling our bathroom. Can you please look at the pictures and let us know if this is a bad job?

Sadly we've already paid (we felt pressured into it) but thinking of raising a formal complaint via checkatrade and potentially further if necessary to get it sorted. Our concern is whether the tiler is even able to sort it.

All advice gratefully received. Having to deal with this is giving us a lot of extra stress & sleepless nights.

Véronique

P.S. Will add pictures when I find out how, hopefully after this has posted

Reaction score
Attaching photos as seen after the tiler says he has finished the job. Note: We never agreed to green sealant being used, it was meant to be white, also there are multiple examples of the different defects, I have only shown one example of each type of defects I can see.
All feedback welcome.

Attachments

• mosaic defect.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 145
  • other corner of the moving floor tile.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 135
  • floor tile misaligned and moving.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 129
  • under shower taps 2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 131
  • top of cabinet.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 131
  • shower basin hole.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
  • under shower tap.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 135
  • ceiling green and white sealant.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 131
  • toilet sealant right hand side.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 131
  • wall tiles not flush some proud at one end under at the other.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 133
  • mosaic sitting proud defect 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 126
  • green sealant applied around window.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 120
  • window trim incorrectly cut.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 121
  • wall tile misalignment2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 119
  • under shower grout missing.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Wow !! 😳.
That is truly an abortion and certainly not the work of a professional
Thanks Dave, in your professional opinion, do you think there's any chance he can rectify these issues or are we really talking about asking him to rip it all out and start again? Our concern is whether he's even capable of doing a proper job if he did redo it.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, in your professional opinion, do you think there's any chance he can rectify these issues or are we really talking about asking him to rip it all out and start again? Our concern is whether he's even capable of doing a proper job if he did redo it.
Going off the pics , i wouldn’t trust they’ve even be installed correctly. I don’t know how these so called tilers!!! Sleep at night.

Aaabbb

-
Reaction score
I would try and get a refund or compensation, that tiler would not be capable of fixing his work . Try your local Tile shops ( not budget tile shops ) and they should be able to recommend a quality installer and possibly check his references.

Reaction score
I would try and get a refund or compensation, that tiler would not be capable of fixing his work . Try your local Tile shops ( not budget tile shops ) and they should be able to recommend a quality installer and possibly check his references.
Thank you so much. Do you have any advice how to get the refund? Do you think we'd have a strong case if it went to court the work is not fit for purpose?

Aaabbb

-
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Do you have any advice how to get the refund? Do you think we'd have a strong case if it went to court the work is not fit for purpose?
Check out the information on this website , as a last resort you can go to the small claims court for up to £10000 , no solicitor required

Attachments

• C6078368-9E33-4386-BB99-78B156E473E4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 121

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Its a rip out and start again but do not ask them to come back and do it as it will be the same again. Christ knows how they get away with this.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the helpful advice. We've sent the tiler a letter detailing all the issues and so far had no response. Given the advice that he will be unable to resolve this, it does look like the most likely scenario is we need to find someone new to do the job properly. Does anyone have any experience / know any case studies of obtaining compensation / winning a court case for poor workmanship that they would be able to share so we can learn any lessons from the experience?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the helpful advice. We've sent the tiler a letter detailing all the issues and so far had no response. Given the advice that he will be unable to resolve this, it does look like the most likely scenario is we need to find someone new to do the job properly. Does anyone have any experience / know any case studies of obtaining compensation / winning a court case for poor workmanship that they would be able to share so we can learn any lessons from the experience?
So sorry for what you’ve gone through, it’s wrong in a big way.
You need an independent assessment of the works. And one that will stand up in a court of law.

Reaction score
So sorry for what you’ve gone through, it’s wrong in a big way.
You need an independent assessment of the works. And one that will stand up in a court of law.
Thanks Dave, what are the options available to get an independent report that would stand up in court? I assume I can't just use another tiler for that?

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is soooo bad. If you go to the which web site they have template letters for this sort of thing
before going to court and the best percedure to take, you have to do things in the right order.

Reaction score
Hi,

Can I please ask for help from an expert? After discovering a leak & some cracked tiles (and that the previous tiler had done a botched job with only putting spots on glue on the tiles) we employed someone from checkatrade to do what we hoped would be a professional job re-tiling our bathroom. Can you please look at the pictures and let us know if this is a bad job?

Sadly we've already paid (we felt pressured into it) but thinking of raising a formal complaint via checkatrade and potentially further if necessary to get it sorted. Our concern is whether the tiler is even able to sort it.

All advice gratefully received. Having to deal with this is giving us a lot of extra stress & sleepless nights.

Véronique

P.S. Will add pictures when I find out how, hopefully after this has posted
Unfortunately you've bought into the "Checkatrade is best" mantra. Its too late now but you should really avoid checkatrade. In my opinion its cowboys with a tick.Oh, and forget about raising a complaint with checkatrade. They don't actually validate anything they have online regarding their "tradesmen". Mind boggling, but true.

Reply to Advice on Bad tiling job in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks