Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this a bad Job? Or am I worrying over nothing? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America

lynuke

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled floor to ceiling. Tiler started yesterday and has completed 3 walls. Before he left he mentioned that in the top corner near the ceiling there is only a small tile due to uneven walls. Not really able to have a good look due to him working I assumed he meant he had to cut one down to fit where it was uneven. When he left, I had a proper look. In that corner the grout lines don't meet up level. There is about 10-15mm hight difference. I put a laser level around the room lining it up with a grout line on the wall he started on. By the time it hits back where the unntiled wall meets the tiled one it looks like there will be nearly 25mm height difference. My bathroom floor does have a slight slope from one end to the other. It looks like he's started tile from the floor up. In my brain it says, if he follows the floor level the grout lines will be slightly lower on one end. Am I assuming wrong or will this be corrected as he goes along? I've added some pictures. 1 is where the corner meets and the others shows a laser level around the room that doesn't match up (may have to zoom in). Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• 20230517_055401.jpg
    20230517_055401.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20230517_055334.jpg
    20230517_055334.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230517_055323.jpg
    20230517_055323.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230517_055234.jpg
    20230517_055234.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 102

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have a lot of confidence in that looking professional.

Ignoring the fact that it is way off level, in the first pic above the door you can see that he has set the wall out badly and has therefore elected to cut the tiles inline with the architrave to save his embarrassment of having “slithers” between architrave and the wall. Had he done the cuts correctly it would have also highlighted how far out his lines are.

Susiequ

TF
Reaction score
Yes, this is absolute not acceptable. Obviously no attention was paid to the initial setting up which should take into consideration your 'sight line' (the focus of what you see first as you enter the room) and the measurement of the tiles in relation to where the cuts are made.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oh dear……..shocking work. Don’t let him carry on, and don’t pay a penny 🤨

Reaction score
Oooops. To be honest I’d want that ripped out and started again- unfortunately all they have done is waste your tiles.

Reaction score
I am sorry to say that this is not acceptable. You never tile straight off the floor unless it is perfectly level.
you have to set out your room for starters 1st, then if equal cuts don't work c/c, should never end up with slivers 🤦‍♂️

Reply to Is this a bad Job? Or am I worrying over nothing? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock