Search the forum,

Discuss Advice For Setting Out Tiles Before Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philrab66

Hi all been browsing for a few days like to say seems like a very good forum, makes a change for people wanting to share there knowledge without being bitchy and sarcastic to people who want to learn. Anyway I am not a tiler but I do get asked to do a few bathrooms and kitchens. I used to hate it but have become a bit quicker and learnt a few tips along the way. I have watched lots of videos and one in particular was tiling a floor. They set out a grid on the floor, measured cuts laid them first then tiled the rest. I have always done it the other way round done the bulk then cuts the next day. Would like a view from the professionals on this practise.
Thanks in advance Phil..

J

J Sid

Hi
For me it all depends on the size of the floor.
Small floors, bathrooms etc, u would probably dry lay with all cuts and then mix a bag of adhesive and fix.
Larger floor I would do full tiles first with rapid set , then jump on floor after a hour when dry to do the cuts.

J

Just Rizzle

Hi all been browsing for a few days like to say seems like a very good forum, makes a change for people wanting to share there knowledge without being bitchy and sarcastic to people who want to learn. Anyway I am not a tiler but I do get asked to do a few bathrooms and kitchens. I used to hate it but have become a bit quicker and learnt a few tips along the way. I have watched lots of videos and one in particular was tiling a floor. They set out a grid on the floor, measured cuts laid them first then tiled the rest. I have always done it the other way round done the bulk then cuts the next day. Would like a view from the professionals on this practise.
Thanks in advance Phil..
if I were to do it your way m8 I wouldn't be making any money, lay and put cuts in as I go the more I do the easier it is. practice makes perfect

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Smaller bathroom floors I would loose lay first then stick them down.
Any other floor I would do the cuts as I go, any complicated cuts I would do before mixing the adhesive, I only use rapid set and I don't use spacers just straight edges, square the room by using the wall that your eye follws when entering the room.
I find I can fix 20 m2 a day on a straight forward floor using this method.
And welcome to the forum.:):):):):):)

P

philrab66

Smaller bathroom floors I would loose lay first then stick them down.
Any other floor I would do the cuts as I go, any complicated cuts I would do before mixing the adhesive, I only use rapid set and I don't use spacers just straight edges, square the room by using the wall that your eye follws when entering the room.
I find I can fix 20 m2 a day on a straight forward floor using this method.
And welcome to the forum.:):):):):):)

Thanks for all your comments and thank you Andy for your welcome. I only do it occasionally but I am starting to enjoy it more as I learn a few tips along the way. i hear a lot of people say they do not use spacers does that mean on wall tiles also?

J

Just Rizzle

Thanks for all your comments and thank you Andy for your welcome. I only do it occasionally but I am starting to enjoy it more as I learn a few tips along the way. i hear a lot of people say they do not use spacers does that mean on wall tiles also?
I remember the days when we used matches and dried spaghetti

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the thread title to something more helpful. "Need advice" is just too generic. All threads needs advice.

Reply to Advice For Setting Out Tiles Before Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen